Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
406 clutch M/C - Fixed!.

How do you change the clutch master cylinder on a 2001 406 hdi?.
I looked through the forums and can't find any reference as to how it's done, I had a look yesterday and couldn't even see the damn thing in the engine bay.
I guess I'm missing a trick somewhere, I would never have found out where the fan resistor was located on my wifes 307 without this forum, here's hoping someone will come up trumps for me again.
Thanks in anticipation;

Roger.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Gibbo - very helpful.
What a pain to get at everything, but it's out now.
Curiously the new parts from our local Peugeot dealer are cheaper than from the local motor factors, and as it turned out only the dealer could supply the correct part for the car in question.
If the new parts manage 170k miles like the originals I suppose the difficulty working on the car isn't so bad.

Roger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am trying to get Clutch Master Cylinder out of 406 diesel estate. I have never seen anything so difficult in 40 yrs. I have disconnected the tubes, made the tool and unscrewed 45deg (not 90 like Haynes say). It is looser but still not coming seems jammed at the South West/bottom left viewed from front. Did you remove servo, brake m/cyl and actuating rod? The plastic rod extension inside the footwell broke. I wonder if I get this fixed there may be a fault inside the bellhousing, which caused the mechanism to brake when I tried to push down against BIG resistance

·
Registered
7 Posts
got it out now, turn 45deg clockwise viewed from front. have reassembled 5 times but still leaking from pressure side coupling. need parts diagram! wonder am i missing an o ring?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You have probably dropped the little rubber seal from the end of the pipe that's why it wont seal Peugeot wont sell the seal on its own just go to scrappy and get one from the slave cylinder of any pug with hydraulic clutch all the seals are the same size

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! that was quick. Was beginning to work it out, there is an o ring on the outside of the split plastic coupling that fits on the end of the pipe and enters the elbow, but nothing that stops the fluid creeping between the pipe and that coupling.
Dont want to seem too opportunistic but do you have a reliable site for decoding pug 206 radio. The web is full of tricksters!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The seal im talking about fits snuggly in the socket the pipe goes into it usually comes out attached to the pipe on removal it then falls off :)

Cant get 206 codes by serial PM betty if your radio is original he can get it from Peugeot

Otherwise a radio decode place is only other way they can read it from the chip

·
Registered
7 Posts
seal

many thanks, when you look back the clues were there, and having a bad back at the time I missed things. I could see no o ring on the insert, assumed it had disappeared and fitted a new one. Also I wondered why the pipe had a 3mm extension past the shoulder. The seal is purpose made to fit over that. Got one as you suggested, put it all back , no leaks:) ,tried to press pedal down after bleeding, but broke plastic extension on master cylinder push rod as before!
Clear that major fault inside bellhousing so ordered clutch assembly, and will fit later as this is familiar territory. Not looking forward to doing it outside in this weather.
Will try and get the radio code from Betty(?) thanks for the tip
nick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Just a quick query on this clutch Master cylinder . Is it possible to get the plastic piece which fits onto the clutch pedal separately ?, or do you have to get a complete master cylinder

rgds Davycha

·
Registered
7 Posts
clutch m/c

its not possible to replace the plastic extension of the piston rod. Access is very limited behind the engine. Turn the cylinder 45degrees clockwise (you can make a tool by cutting a slot in 1.5 inch pipe, but pump pliers may be all you need) to release after detaching pipes from the brake reservoir, and to the slave cylinder. The feed pipe should be uncoupled on the vertical joint only to avoid losing the seal in the horizontal coupling. Once I got this fixed I realised it had broken because I needed a new clutch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the info ,
I had to get a new master cylinder , was not too bad to remove once I had the information from here . Clutch release bearing had seized so I had to get a new clutch kit , luckily the DMF was in good condition so I did not have to replace that.

davycha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts