Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster!

I’ve bought a cheap 2002 406 HDi (bad combo, I know!) and it’s come with a number of issues.

The story from the previous owner goes like this. Battery died, called road side assisted, they came and fitted a new battery (without putting the BSI to sleep first, I imagine), then the car started to experience intermittent problems.
Wipers do 1 wiper every time you turn the key on.
Climate control will sporadically swap from cooling to full heat on a 40 degree day. It will then eventually swing back to cooling.
The BSI was replaced, but the problems stayed, but now the key wouldn’t work. The key was then replaced. It starts the car, but central locking won’t work off the key. I have tried syncing the key to no avail.

I have tried resetting the BSI, to also no avail. (I’m not getting a “bong” when I turn the headlights on)

The symptoms I have observed are:
An intermittent temp gauge. Sometime it reads normal, then it’ll just die and drop down to zero. Now, the interesting thing is when the temp gauge dies the engine has a very slight stumble (when idling) and the climate control starts it process of swapping from full cool to full heat.

I’ve check the water temp sensor plug, which all seemed fine.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The climate control is a pain in the butt on 406s but its not controlled by the BSI its controlled by a small box behind/below passenger headlight this also controls the fans it is connected to the coolant sensor so a faulty sensor will give the symptoms you describe

What im not getting is how you can swap a BSI and get car running this should not be possible as the key bsi and ecu are all matched to the car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The climate control is a pain in the butt on 406s but its not controlled by the BSI its controlled by a small box behind/below passenger headlight this also controls the fans it is connected to the coolant sensor so a faulty sensor will give the symptoms you describe

What im not getting is how you can swap a BSI and get car running this should not be possible as the key bsi and ecu are all matched to the car
That’s what I thought!! But this is what the seller reckoned, even had receipts for it!

So, which sensor could be faulty? Could that be linked to the water temp sensor?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It appears there’s one person in Australia and they’re 900km away..
Hard to know you're in Oz if you don't put it in your profile. The only practical way to get the interface (Lexia 3) and software is from EBay or similar. It is all cloned. The genuine stuff costs a bomb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to know you're in Oz if you don't put it in your profile. The only practical way to get the interface (Lexia 3) and software is from EBay or similar. It is all cloned. The genuine stuff costs a bomb.
Yeah, sorry. I should have put that in the original post.

I’ll consider it purchasing a Lexia 3/PP2000 interface if I decided to keep the car..

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Put your location in your profile that way it only needs done once :)

I would change the coolant sensor as its a common issue on these 1 of ours is constantly telling us its overheating then 5 mins later its freezing !! we just ignore it as its just used for local driving anyway and we know its fine :)

The 406 is a good car once you sort it out they are reliable and good mile munchers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put your location in your profile that way it only needs done once :)

I would change the coolant sensor as its a common issue on these 1 of ours is constantly telling us its overheating then 5 mins later its freezing !! we just ignore it as its just used for local driving anyway and we know its fine :)

The 406 is a good car once you sort it out they are reliable and good mile munchers
Ok, I’ll order one.. the coolant sensor has a part number on it: 9632552490, but that doesn’t come up with anything on the old Fleebay.. is there only 1 type of sensor?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
There is more than 1 but that number is probably superceded long ago if it is a D9 version any of the later model sensors will fit look up 206 307 etc

The number you quoted is the MANUFACTURERS part number peugeots part number is only 6 digits

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is more than 1 but that number is probably superceded long ago if it is a D9 version any of the later model sensors will fit look up 206 307 etc

The number you quoted is the MANUFACTURERS part number peugeots part number is only 6 digits
While I’ve got you guys here, my DW10 110hp has an air activated throttle body just before the inlet manifold, but my father’s 99 HDi 110hp doesn’t.. what’s it for?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
It is extra tree hugging parts to do with EGR system its also used to help engine stop quicker when you turn off.

99 will be D8 model yours is D9. just progress.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is extra tree hugging parts to do with EGR system its also used to help engine stop quicker when you turn off.

99 will be D8 model yours is D9. just progress.
What do you think the wiper issue is? I did find today that the wiper stalk had been hot-wired from the fuse box under the dash. The wire appears to give 12v when the ignition is on to a yellow wire that goes into the plug for the wiper stalk. It seems like something had failed in the BSI and this has been bodged up by some mechanic.

Thoughts?

I would PM you, but I can’t without more posts!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Why would you want to PM anyway PM helps 1 person a post on the forum could help many.

If you have separate wiper stalk and light switch its a D8 model switches and motors can sometimes fail hard to say what issue is its not common to have wiper issues BSI may be configured wrong so many possibilities

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why would you want to PM anyway PM helps 1 person a post on the forum could help many.

If you have separate wiper stalk and light switch its a D8 model switches and motors can sometimes fail hard to say what issue is its not common to have wiper issues BSI may be configured wrong so many possibilities
That’s very true!

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts