Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all im new on here ive a 2000 406 1.9 diesel with the engine management light on ive taken it to the garage and they baisically told me it could be anything ?????? im a fairly competent mechanic but i dont have much experience with engine management , i recently spotted an issue of car mechanics which is dealing with this issue , i have tried to find out some info on my cars diagnostic system but all i keep coming up with is that petrol cars in 2001 and after have obd2 canbus systems and 2004 for diesel cars so how do i find out what OBD is in my car and can it be read with a fault code reader i can buy from ebay or a motor factors thanks :nod:

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
In "my" experience no hand held code readers i have had will read your car (there could be i just don`t know what they are), choices are go to dealer around £80 ,find someone in your area with Peugeot Planet or buy it yourself,
whereabouts are you in the country?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers im in waterford city , what is p, planet , the dealer choice here is crap one that has ripped me off before and the one that told me it could be anythig wrong with the car (electrically) looks like im gonna have to bring it to wexford or kilkenny !!

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Peugeot Planet is the diagnostics the dealers use, i just bought one tonight but won`t get it for a couple of weeks , i`m in North antrim which is no good to you but Ron has one in Galway and i`m sure he would help out and a hell of a lot cheaper than dealer but a bit of a drive through tipp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers fella , i'll do the sums and get back to ya if i need to contact ron thanks for your help

G

·
It's ISO standard, so a multi-protocol reader should work if you have the correct connector for it.

That said, there's very limited information it'll tell you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks , so baisically its a job for planet peugeot from a dealer or someone who knows whats what

·
Registered
196 Posts
hi all i have a code reader that dose all the pugs old and new.autel fr704,
cheaper and i also have the files that make it in to a reader that will work on all cars,abs airbag reset etc etc.only about £175

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers mate the cas only worth about 800 euro so i couldnt spend that money on something i'd never again use thanks anywho

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah thats all i do to help to the cost of the reader.i charge people £15 to read and reset the codes,abs and airbag reset.i all so have the autodata to help locate and repair. but im in the southampton area

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice one betty , that sounds good im unemployed so that would help out a bit just need to raise the funds , i hope to be on to ya boots in the near future thanks guys

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Lad's,
I bought one of these on ebay for planet as its used on my old 96 406...:)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXIA-3-OBD2-...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item20aeae96e5
its the 30 pin connector that was used on the older peugeot/citroens.

slyp98....Yours will have the 16 pin plug...Do you know any local garage that may have snap on, launch,dec 2 etc diagnostics as they maybe able to read your fault(s) or if your up Galway direction give me a shout and i can see whats up....:)
Yours has to be a 2.0 hdi as the stopped putting the 1.9 diesels into the
406's in 99....:confused:

Is the car not running so good...??
Ron.

·
Registered
503 Posts
slyp98 said:
nice one betty , that sounds good im unemployed so that would help out a bit just need to raise the funds , i hope to be on to ya boots in the near future thanks guys
Ye.....We need someone with Planet down in the sunny southeast.....:)
Remember...it also works on all peugeot/citroens.....:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah id be up for that , i'm a bike mechanic i havent been employed in the trade for some years now just couldnt hack the crap wages and workin every saturday and waiting 3 weeks for a washer to arrive from afghanistan or somewhere nice like that , would i be right in saying if you have the right code reader /scanner you can read faults on any make providing you have the correct software???? or is it manufacturer specific

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend, most handheld codereaders will do engine codes on all makes from 2004 (diesel) for about £60/£80,

if you go for planet it does peugeot/citroen all codes abs,airbag and engine £200 ish plus you need laptop with xp,

so really if you had that plus a vag handheld you would be able to do skoda,seat,vw,audi,peugeot,citroen - engine , abs and airbags,
and all other makes engine code only 2004 on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for that , its a bit of an investment alright could take a few weeks to get that kind of cash together, there maybe an opening to make some cash with a bit of advertising (more money) wonder if the credit union would give me a loan ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
risky1 said:
Ye.....We need someone with Planet down in the sunny southeast.....:)
Remember...it also works on all peugeot/citroens.....:cool:
im in southampton area.my codereader works on all pugs.with 16 pin eobd. plus other makes. just orded a p planet should be here soon.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
bigboots said:
im in southampton area.my codereader works on all pugs.with 16 pin eobd. plus other makes. just orded a p planet should be here soon.
Fill your boots , you son of a pug :lol: :lol:

Nice one boots.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts