Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had hydrogen injection on my 4007 to help with EGR faults and general rough running and flat spots. Seems to have worked well and has restored power and smoothness.He mentioned about fitting a catch-can to help prevent further issues.I purchased a Ryco unit but then discovered theres vitually no where to mount it, so returned it!!Looked at firewall and on side walls etc but couldn't locate an area for it.Anyone have a 4007 (or 4008 i guess) that has installed a catch-can and can share a pic or details of where they mounted it? Maybe theres a certain brand catch-can thats smaller/different shape that suits this model?

·
Registered
29 Posts
HI,
I've been thinking about fitting one of these as it stops the air doser valve getting oil in it (and all the turbo assembly via the air system) as well as the issue you mentioned.

These are not cheap or any of this a recommendation on suppliers, simply what my research has shown as the best proven option for diesel vehicles.

Here is my current mud map. I am going to do this just have not done it yet.

The connections remove the original pipe which is in the photo, use the end connectors on both sides of the current pipework and remove the current interconnecting pipe.

The pillar I refer to is the housing for the shock assembly and you would mount on it so the hoses have a fairly straight run and run under the main filtered air duct. At the bottom of the provent 200, you should be piped into another removable (cheap) catch can or you can just have a length of pipe with stop cock fitted to collect the oil.
Do not run back into the engine, this option would be bad, as the oil collected is contaminated with water particles which you don't want in your oil. Generally it is illegal / dangerous to allow dumping onto the road or uncontrolled or into chassis.

Example oil catch pipe + stop cock

Example overflow tank

For maintenance, you only need to check or empty as per normal oil changes (does not produce a lot of contaminated oil unless something is else is wrong)

Hope you find this of help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Will be starting this project soon. I have already worked out that my initial idea where to put the ProVent is an extremely tight fit and would make it hard to service. There is space near air intake, left of the battery which will accommodate the install and make servicing easier.

I will once I have completed the project update the details and provide some pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will be starting this project soon. I have already worked out that my initial idea where to put the ProVent is an extremely tight fit and would make it hard to service. There is space near air intake, left of the battery which will accommodate the install and make servicing easier.

I will once I have completed the project update the details and provide some pictures.
Great, looking forward to seeing the result and maybe copying for mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK, the promised update. The space left of the battery is very tight on pipe angles and would need a fair number of elbows to work. I also failed to find any method to secure the support bracket in this location adequately. The next option was further left on the other side of the engine and the advantage is a clear pathway to run for the hoses and Provent 200 / support bracket all fits. I have not fitted the hose runs yet and the catch can but am confident there no issues in this position I selected. The established connection points on the vehicle are ID 19mm (and Provent 200 has 25mm ID Hose for inlet / outlet).

The weather here has been hopeless and thanks to covid my shed (the only place I could hide from rain) is being used for other things (a gym). So it might be a few days or week before I have final photo's but here what I have done so far....

I hope you will find this helpful.

This is a Bunnings - Shelf Bracket cut up / modified to suit holding the ProVent 200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, looks like a professional job! I’m now going to copy yours for my 4007.
I guess the first question is have you had any issues now that it’s been installed for a few months?
Also did you use the catch can in your eBay link for $65 or the $200 provent unit, just want to make sure of the quality and physical size?

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have to sit ProVent right down nearly touching the air conditioning line (about 5mm above it) or else the ProVent can touch the bonnet material in operation, which I learnt. In the original photos had it much higher (about 20mm above the a/c line) and was clear but not during operation. It is now sitting down lot nearer to air conditioning line (5mm above) and this clears the bonnet.

I would use the hose (detailed below) and make the top run (the return hose) longer than I did, so it goes over past the radiator fill bottle and then back to the provent (a change going to make soon), the bottom hose run was perfect but originally had both together and it is too tight for two 32OD pipes, hence moved one above and will repurchase to make it longer.

Actual ProVent unit bought.

Flow Hose Assemblies:
I did look at a lot of hose before choosing this type, the turbo / air flow really pulls through these hoses and why I decided on this type of hose for the application. The one I'm using is identical to this but aged @ 10 years old, been sitting on it for 10 years without a use. I had planned on using it on my pajero for similar application but never did. Proof of concept hose and as said going to replace with this one soon. Checked it over the time and not effected by temperatures, air pressures or oil vapours passing through it.

Pope 25mm Poly Barbed Elbow x 2

Hose Clamps
+ couple of normal hose clamps (that are not seen) on drain hose and raceworks hose to original joiner on the engine flow side hose (it has a push to remove clip that you retain in the new assembly).

Drain Hose / Catch Can:

I used this catch can, the mount was just a bolt long enough to use the single mount on the top of the catch can, welded to left over bracket from making the first one to suit an existing threaded mounting point, there are few of them you can use down there. I feel you could use the first catch can I mentioned or the one I used below. I actually went with black one because it was 'black' and felt it was more in keeping with the visual aesthetics of the car.

The unexpected change I have noticed since this was all turbo lag is completely gone. In particular, I had noticed a slight lag when acceleration was applied going up a hill from rolling start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking forward to seeing some photos of your project. I am very happy with the result.
Thanks again for some more easy to follow instructions and information and nice clear photos of the install. I will look at purchasing the same Provent 200 as it seems the other cheaper ones are slightly longer overall (though only 20mm) and based on your experience and pics I can see there’s not a lot of vertical room. I work in an industrial plant with a boiler shop and Maint fitters so will get them to knock up a bracket. We also deal with a hose wholesaler who should be able to supply temp/oil resistant hose in correct size. Will post some info over coming weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Completed my installation this weekend and all went well. Made the bracket at work and also got oil/fuel resistant hoses, though they are larger OD. All fitted in well without moving anything. Got the correct sized hose fittings so didn’t need reducers etc. I haven’t put the extra collection can at this stage, just connected a clear hose to outlet and will check out periodically for oil. I used a different brand of catch can , though not the real cheap bad quality one. Size is identical to yours.

Pro Oil Catch Can Vent EGR Block Plate Nissan Navara D40 Turbo Diesel 4x4 200 | eBay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts