Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 307 hdi (110). It has just failed an MOT because of worn discs and pads (all round).

The MOT tester said the brakes were binding (all four), although the actual performance on the brake test was excellent.

The car has to operate on a very tight budget and whilst I am prepared to buy and fit new pads and discs I don't want to find myself in a similar situation in 12 months' time.

At the weekend I'm going to check and lubricate the calliper sliders. I have read that it could also be a problem caused by internal breakdown of the flexible hoses (acting as a one way valve). They are the original callipers and hoses by the way.

Beyond this I'm not sure what to do next. The main question for me is why all 4 brakes have been binding?

The car had been displaying an ABS fault and I that was cured by cleaning and re-positioning the rear sensors.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

John

·
5,672 Posts
I would look at servo and brake pedal linkages as all 4 where binding

·
Registered
82 Posts
poss maser cylinder fault ,piston not returning properly ,dirt on pistons but all 4 unlikely ,just a thought have you topped up the fluid with the wrong fluid and mixed them ?it goes "gloopy "hope you get it sorted m :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies.

I had wondered about the master cylinder push rod, but I have never touched this is the past; does it require routine adjustment?

The problem seems to have occurred in the last 12 months and I also wondered about the earlier ABS fault ... but since ABS takes the brakes off I've left that idea for the moment.

With reference to the brake fluid; it looks okay, but could do with a change, so I shall try that.

I shall update if anything useful is discovered.

Thanks again

John

·
Registered
687 Posts
Pads and discs are not too pricey from somewhere like Eurocarparts.

The hoses should be okay with anything the elements can throw at them as they have to stand up to the brake fluid which is pretty harsh stuff and so should last for a very good length of time and probably longer than some of the fixed pipe work (unless contaminated by mineral oils or fuel in which case it will perish quickly). Nevertheless, there will be some wear on the system rubber seals due to mechanical wear from the normal operation of the brakes, hence one of the reasons why the fluid will discolour despite it being a sealed system. Before you spend the money on any parts it might be worth flushing through new brake fluid to see if that improves things.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
sounds like your car does not get a huge amount of use from your post I would bet its the pedal linkage in some way there may be a pivot pin somewhere that is seizing up so when you release the brakes they are not actually fully releasing.

Have had this on e7 taxis the heat dried out the grease on the pivot behind the servo and as a result the brakes stuck on slightly.

Could be the caliper sliders too but unlikely if all 4 are sticking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sticking pivots on pedal ... never thought of that ; thanks! The car did get rather damp inside due a water leak a couple of years ago (sorted now), so I'll check that too.

And you're right ... it doesn't see a lot of use!

Thanks for your help

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts