Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, been having gearbox trouble. When changing up or down the gears 3rd gear crunches in, all other gears are working fine. I've been advised to change the oil in the gearbox. does anyone know if this will eradicate the problem?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi Guys, been having gearbox trouble. When changing up or down the gears 3rd gear crunches in, all other gears are working fine. I've been advised to change the oil in the gearbox. does anyone know if this will eradicate the problem?
i would like to know this as i have also the same issue

·
Registered
30 Posts
depends on what damage as been done

changing the oil might extend the life of the box and improve the selection of 3rd gear, but the crunching you hear is causing damage/wear on components within the gearbox, so depending how long its been happening, what damage as been done...

·
Registered
302 Posts
depends on what damage as been done

changing the oil might extend the life of the box and improve the selection of 3rd gear, but the crunching you hear is causing damage/wear on components within the gearbox, so depending how long its been happening, what damage as been done...
well if i hold the clutch down a few seconds then change it changes fine if i put the clutch down then change straight awy it crunchs but im just changing the clutched changed at the minute so i will have fresh oil in after

·
Registered
273 Posts
as davidireland says its the syncro, it hapened to me on an expert and when i opened it up i found the syncro had cracked. i could,nt buy syncros on thier own, they came as part of the hub which was quite expensive so i fitted a used syncro. its a gearbox rebuild or second hand box.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This has happened on both my 307s, having to force into 3rd gear. I think a factor is not pushing clutch down far enough.

But it is annoying and would like to hear an easy fix....

·
11,843 Posts
This has happened to me - 2nd to 3rd. However, I can't remember if it was my last 307, 306 before that, a Punto or the OH's old Micra.

What I do know is that I fixed it by thoroughly cleaning and re-lubricating the gear linkages behind the gearbox. I also greased the ball socket at the base of the gearstick.

After that you could move it through the gears with the pressure of your little finger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
you should be able to just drive it as it is, it'll last years if you dont keep crunching it in, change slowly or double de-clutch.

Who remembers the marina gearbox? They had no syncro on 1st 2nd or 3rd after a while.

S

·
0 Posts
Aye had this on a 205, as mentioned it'll be syncro

Was caused by having engine running but something slightly pushing the gear lever forward in my case, double clutching will keep you running till you fix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts