Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 308SW has the spacesaver spare wheel taking up WAY too much space on the boot floor,as,of course,the Heath-Robinson designed Winch assembly has come asunder,and lies on top of the wheel! I wonder if any SW owners managed to simply fabricate a belt & braces method of securing the spare beneath the floor,without having to buy a new version of something designed to fail ?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The winches fail due to lack of use and sometimes missuse if your car is 2009 then thats not bad going if its only just failed a 307 SW/estate one will fit its the same winch only wheel insert is different.

They are not designed to fail they are just not designed to last or take the abuse by people unfamiliar winding them wrongly and tangling or breaking the cables.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps,I just yearn for the simplicity of the Spare-Wheel Holder on my 1996 106 Van...Difficult to see why Peugeot would want to move away from it ?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Weight saving is the simple answer and ease of assembly

The rack system needed 4 parts assembled in correct order winch can all be done at once time saved in production weight saved in use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weight saving is the simple answer and ease of assembly

The rack system needed 4 parts assembled in correct order winch can all be done at once time saved in production weight saved in use.
True,no doubt...However as I trawl through the Breaker Yards of 307+308 SW's,I'm struck by the lack of 2nd hand units,which must be telling Peugeot something ?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
To be honest you will find most of the failures in later life are down to the aforementioned abuse not real failure of the part.

Similar winches are used in other peugeots and there has never been any real problem with them UNTIL they are older IE 2nd/3rd owners who may not read instructions before trying to wind it and if the cap that rotates is not pulled up properly the winch safety mechanism does not release it then gets all tangled.

Lack of regular use/maintainance also plays a part in failures as i say they are not that bad i have seen worse systems try releasing the spare on a clio mk3 !!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest you will find most of the failures in later life are down to the aforementioned abuse not real failure of the part.

Similar winches are used in other peugeots and there has never been any real problem with them UNTIL they are older IE 2nd/3rd owners who may not read instructions before trying to wind it and if the cap that rotates is not pulled up properly the winch safety mechanism does not release it then gets all tangled.

Lack of regular use/maintainance also plays a part in failures as i say they are not that bad i have seen worse systems try releasing the spare on a clio mk3 !!!
That's them Japanese for you !!!! :eek:

To conclude the 308 Spare Wheel Winch issue...I fitted the new winch,but found the toolbox lid had a hairline crack,which required some bolstering with aluminium.Refitted the entire smoooooothly winding gubbins and immediately put 80 Km up on the odo...No reports yet of Peugeot Wheels or Tools littering the N81 from Dublin......Praise be !...Next chapter....the lack of folding on my Nearside Electric Mirror.....:thumb:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The winch system on my 307SW never gave any problems in 175k miles and 13 years. It was easier to use too than the older cage system.
New 308 has it inside the boot, so it all has to be emptied if you need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts