Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car from new and it has done 70K miles. It has a problem when changing gear in 4th 5th and 6th. When I change down and accelerate the engine over-revs by about 500-750 revs once or twice and then settles and runs perfectly.
There is no problem in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear and appears to be no clutch slippage. It happens after the engine has warmed up (say after 10 miles). Additionally if I engage cruise control in the higher gears when on a hill it automatically disengages almost immediately. I've tried a number of mechanics including a Peugeot dealer but they say they cannot recreate the problem. However, other people have driven the car and experienced the same issue as well as passengers seeing the rev-counter waving up and down. I would be really pleased to get a diagnosis and maybe find a way to resolve this issue. The car has been fully serviced during its life.

·
Registered
69 Posts
is it the 6 speed automatic gearbox, or manual? if it is automatic maybe you are needing a gearbox oil change...the gearbox has a torque converter and its performance depends on the oil thickness...If it is a manual, sounds like you have a worn out clutch, slipping...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It is a 6 speed manual gearbox so I suppose a new clutch is needed. I had always thought that clutches slip in the lower gears, particulary on hills, rather than in the higher gears. However my knowledgfe of cars is very basic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
not realy sure if your motor has a double mass flywheel, but if it does, it mandatory to have it changed too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts