Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a question for 308CC owners/drivers.

Whenever I drive with the roof down and windows up, the front end seems unsteady and vibrates, I'm not sure if this is due to turbulence? Its quite pronounced when I drive over 70kmh.

This is also felt if I drive with roof and windows down too, but slightly better.

Anyone feels the same? Or is there something wrong with my car?

Any help/advise appreciated! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Besides the above,

i) there is croaking sound from the front undercarriage when going over uneven surfaces

ii) when driving at high speeds (130kmh to 170kmh) the front end bounces unsteadily

Hope anyone here can help me to understand what might be wrong and what is the offending part that needs replacement.

Its a 2012 308CC 1.6THP. Currently 60K kms on the clock. Bought used recently from a used car dealer and unsure of its history.

Tia

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I can't really be of any help with your problems, although I have a friend with a 308cc and she's commented on how light the front end gets with the top down.
She said it really struggles for grip, which I can only assume is because there is much more weight at the rear of the car.

Maybe this is just highlighting a more common issue with other 308's, except in the CC model it's more pronounced, I can personally only think of shock absorbers or suspension that could be at fault?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Sounds as if it could be a structural problem, possibly consequent to accident damage not being correctly repaired. I suggest professional examination.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both. Its ok, I know the 308CC population is very small, so not expecting very much owners in the forum.

The car has been checked and not accident damaged, thank goodness.

So I'm currently trying to figure out the front suspension - top mounts w bearings, droplinks, lower arm bushings, anti-roll bar bushings.

Hope these items are the ones causing the problem. Will post back when these have been troubleshooted.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Excessive bouncing suggests the dampers in the struts aren't working correctly. If you push down on the front wings and let go does it settle quickly or does it bounce a few times ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excessive bouncing suggests the dampers in the struts aren't working correctly. If you push down on the front wings and let go does it settle quickly or does it bounce a few times ?
Hi, nope the shock absorbers are fine, firm and not leaking too.

I'm very puzzled as to why it will bounce when I drive at high speeds!

I think other components to the suspension may be worn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coilovers have been fitted with new rubber top mounts on the front.

All suspension connections have been tightened and still the groaking sounds come about.

Hmm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 308cc 2.0 hdi. Cant say mine bounces at all, very smooth at any speed, no difference roof up or down. Yours is prob better with roof down as the cars weight has been shifted. I would check the obvious first, how long have you had the car? check tyre sizes, all tyres same size? correct tyre pressures, balancing.

It is possible to brake a spring, have done so on a previous car, took ages to find. You can break off the first 4inch piece at the top, have a good root around. Are the wheels in good order, no alloys been smacked at tyre shop.
Apart from that I would suggest suspension set up or worn mountings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 308cc 2.0 hdi. Cant say mine bounces at all, very smooth at any speed, no difference roof up or down. Yours is prob better with roof down as the cars weight has been shifted. I would check the obvious first, how long have you had the car? check tyre sizes, all tyres same size? correct tyre pressures, balancing.

It is possible to brake a spring, have done so on a previous car, took ages to find. You can break off the first 4inch piece at the top, have a good root around. Are the wheels in good order, no alloys been smacked at tyre shop.
Apart from that I would suggest suspension set up or worn mountings.
About 6mths since I bought it, now 70K kms.

Stock tyre size and XL rated and stock tyre pressures, wheel balancing and alignment properly done.

Wheels are not broken, suspension is not damaged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so what I have done so far.

1) upgraded to coilovers + rubber top mounts

2) upgraded front lower arm bushings + anti roll bar bushings to powerflex poly bushes

3) new droplinks and balljoints (connecting lower arm to wheel hub)

4) replaced all engine mountings

When roof is closed, the unsteady feeling seems reduced.

When roof is open, the unsteady feeling is still there.

Any more ideas? I ran out of what could be done. Ha!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, only just joined. I have same problem, apparently there are two weights under rear of car and their job is to compensate for the extra weight in the boot. Could be loose hopefully as to replace is £400 plus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts