Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes. I was listening to some music via a connected iPod device.
My partner and I were on the return leg of a 4.5 hour drive after a long weekend holidaying in the Victorian Alpine region. Approx 2 hours in (still 2.5hours from home!) in the middle of bloody nowhere, the music started 'looping'. Not even sure which song it was - doesn't matter....it was approx 2 seconds of music continuously looping.
Worst part - the entire SMEG unit was frozen.
Volume didn't work.
No touch screen menus including heater, sat nav etc would work.
Was basically frozen on the sat nav page, at exactly 6.37 pm (I won't forget the time in a hurry!), no ability to change anything.
Hitting the volume/power button turned the display off, HOWEVER, the music kept playing!
We pulled over and I killed the engine and took the key out.
Music kept playing!
No way to turn it off.
I recorded this on my phone as I have constantly been in touch with Peugeot Australia about the issues I have had with my SMEG (mainly radio) unit.
This is the icing on the cake.
My partner was a bit nervous if we drove him (with this annoying looping music playing for over 2 hours to home) and then the batter draining overnight!
I decided to drive to the nearest town around 15 minutes away - figured we could lock the car, go to the pub for dinner and hopefully it's gone away.
I also wanted to get it witnessed by someone who could sign a stat dec.....
When I got to the next town I remembered we have Peugeot Care - I rang them, and after explaining the situation he basically suggested what I had planned on doing - kill the engine, lock the car and wait outside.
We locked the car - I decided to wait and presto, the music stopped after around 10-12 minutes after locking the doors.
Now, I have had the car for approx 10 months - bought brand new in Oct 2016. It's pure ridiculous I have to put up with this - I couldn't even use the heating as it's controlled via the unit.
Peugeot Australia really need to sort this out.
Has 'anyone' heard of this occurring?????

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know you say it freezes completely but will it let you reboot by long holding the car icon under the heating controls down the side of the screen?

Some times I have issues where it gets stuck & after doing the reboot have no issues.

Just long hold the touch button till theirs a tone is herd through the speakers it will look like it isn?t doing anything straight away but will shut down & restart. Seems to clear any data that?s been saved in the the short term memory & clears any faults, seems to have speed improvements as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate. No, I don't think I tried holding the car icon - nothing was responsive at all.
Is this a feature of the SMEG - had no idea?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have mine since 2014 and it never friezed like that...sometimes occasionally it takes some time to boot but other then that nothing.

I know that you didn't but maybe you could have disconnected the battery for a quicker solution in clearing the friezed head unit? :confused:

Hope you sorted things out!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine froze once on way home. Air con was freezing cold and sat nav was just stuck. I stopped at a dealer, unfortunately all the service staff had left for the day only minutes ago. Thankfully a sales guy came and suggested I disconnect the battery. I told him I didn't have a spanner, he told me not to worry as my battery should be quick release or he could get one to help me.

It worked and rebooted my head unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers ShereKhan.
Appreciate the feedback. I had considered doing the battery reset and probably could have done it quite easily. The point is this is not something I would expect I would have to do on an almost brand new vehicle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts