Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Just replaced the main battery for a new Bosch S5 AGM.

The original battery was low on charge. No start stop working for months, kept getting economy mode flashing up on dash, also various times I've had different faults flashing up eml on start up. I've typed a cheat code into smeg. System is showing battery at 11.3V and showing battery low. Several attempts to charge the battery had been unsuccessful.

After renewing the battery the smeg is still showing low battery and only 12.05v. Having tested the new battery with a multimeter, I know its around 12.6v. Also the battery I removed shows 12.4v with a multimeter!
The system is obviously showing lower voltage than what is actually in the battery! Still no start stop etc.

Is there anyway to reset the battery monitoring system after battery replacement? Is the only way going to be with diagnostic tool?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The smeg will show what it's receiving, some voltage drop (and voltage sag if the battery is loaded with no alternator running) is normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smeg is still showing battery as low. It isn't though!
I know on some of the trucks I work on the battery monitor system needs a reset after battery replacement. This is done with diagnostic software. It basically resets the battery system parameters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smeg showing 12.06 and multimeter showing 12.6, is that at the same time?
Yes at the same time. Even with the new battery fitted I get "going into economy mode" on smeg when radio is turned on. This is after a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
12.6V is the absolute minimum you would expect to see on a new battery off load. This shows that the battery is far from fully charged. Go for a decent run, or charge it up properly with a charger. Would have been fine if you had charged the new one before installing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So on the back of last post I have fully charged the battery to 13v. I still have low battery and only 12.2v showing on the smeg. The car also still goes very quickly into economy mode as if it thinks it has a low battery.
After a bit of research I have found a possible cause.
Attached to the negative terminal of the battery is a small device. I believe this device is called a bcsu or battery charge status unit. I believe this could be the cause of the problem.
Has anyone had an issue with this part before?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The unit is also known as a Battery Estimation Charge Board or BECB.

This is a Google image of said part.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have you load tested the battery? You can measure the voltage at the OBD port to see what drop you have at that point too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery checks out fine, code reader in obd port showing voltage of around 12.2v meaning a large drop from actual battery voltage. All connections have been checked for tightness and contacts. A multimeter from battery to any point on chassis shows full battery voltage of almost 13v.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
That unit was the cause of one person's battery charge issues. But I think it was horrendously expensive. Like 50% more than a new battery.

I see it was manufactured by Bosch. Wonder if there is an alternative supplier?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll see if I can get a part number off it and do a bit more digging. I've seen some that look the same on ebay for around £50. It would probably depend on part number etc. Also would it be a straight swap job or programming job?
I have had the car plugged into diagnostic (albeit as a Peugeot partner because I only have access to commercial diagnostic system). There is options for battery replacement and start stop programming etc.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I got the impression from the previous account that it was a straight swap. No programming required for straight battery replacement, that I do know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the impression from the previous account that it was a straight swap. No programming required for straight battery replacement, that I do know.
Definitely no programming needed for straight battery swap. I've recently changed old battery for Varta silver dinamic AGM and everything worked from the box. Even start/stop system worked right away and didn't work on old batery. I'm driving 308 bluehdi 1.6

1 - 15 of 15 Posts