Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 57 plate Peugeot 308 1.6 sport with only 35,000 on the clock - Its been regulary serviced and well looked after, but recently I have been suffering loss of power - There are no warning lights lit up on my dashboard, but I can barely get over 3000 revs on the road (going up hills is a struggle, and overtaking on a motorway is impossible). The engine sound is loud and there is just no bite.

I've recently had two diagnostics (one independent, one by a peugeot main dealer) but the diagnostics came back clean on both occassions. I've had conflicting advice from mechanics and I wanted to know if this is a common problem with the peugeots that is easily identifiable before I spend a lot of money trying to get to the route of the problems.

Please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same??
Got a 308 2L diesel GT
Was told it was a regeneration issue! Had a forced regeneration done but still got the problem.. Car is going to dealer for a service on Tuesday hopefully this will help.. Also read many threads of a possible ECU fault?? Thinking this may now be the issue as I am now having problems staring the car and the Tyre sensors..

Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Power loss issues - any more solutions?

I'm driving a petrol engine, and this is the first time anyone has mention 'forced regeneration' (so I'm not entirely sure what that is, if you can enlighten me great). I've had my ECU updated and that didn't effect anything, it may be different in your case.

The other things people have mentioned to me offline are:
1. The timing chains.
2. The thermometer.

But apparently both are costly to check out.

C

·
0 Posts
All these regen issues are a big part of why I drive a petrol 308 rather than my previous diesel 307.
They're genrally not an issue to people who use them properly, ie, don't regularly do journeys of under 6 miles. TBH, it's not as if the Prince motors are renowned for their unburstability.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They're genrally not an issue to people who use them properly, ie, don't regularly do journeys of under 6 miles. TBH, it's not as if the Prince motors are renowned for their unburstability.
Well my daily routine was a journey 22 miles one way involving 15 mins at motorway speeds, then the same back at night. Yet I often reached my destination to find the fans switch on (with normal temperatures) as the regen had not completed.

I also ran out of Eolys at only 48k.

I'm driving a petrol engine, and this is the first time anyone has mention 'forced regeneration' (so I'm not entirely sure what that is, if you can enlighten me great).
Regen is something that regenerates the particulate filter on diesels. So not applicable in your instance.

C

·
0 Posts
Yours has some kind of major problem there Johnny-O. Surprised you left it do long the ELOYS ran out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yours has some kind of major problem there Johnny-O. Surprised you left it do long the ELOYS ran out.
Im not quite sure what you were surprised about, but the Eloys never actually became completely empty if that's what you are saying. The fan running at strange times happened from the car being new.

It cost £300 to refill it. At which point I was asking the dealer who designs a car that needs such an expensive liquid that is do difficult to refill it costs so much? (I know the dealer didnt design it)

This coupled with the fact petrol does 41 mpg, diesel is 5% more expensive, petrol service interval is 20k diesel is 12k and a diesel version of my car (308) would have cost me another £2500. I think I will spend £500 a year more on fuel at the most. So just the cost of the car would take 5 years to repay. I decided the diesel bs was not worth it in future.

D

·
0 Posts
Well my daily routine was a journey 22 miles one way involving 15 mins at motorway speeds, then the same back at night. Yet I often reached my destination to find the fans switch on (with normal temperatures) as the regen had not completed.

I also ran out of Eolys at only 48k.

Regen is something that regenerates the particulate filter on diesels. So not applicable in your instance.
There is a software update for the fan running on problem.

C

·
0 Posts
At which point I was asking the dealer who designs a car that needs such an expensive liquid that is do difficult to refill it costs so much?
Erm...

Because the EU have introduced awesomely prohibitive particulate emissions limits - no one sells a diesel in the EU above 90BHP without some kind of DPF any more. without some kind of sock up the exhaust, or some breakthrough in combustion physics, it simply ain't possible to meet those targets.

And if you think the "wet" ELOYS style FAP is a pain, you should try some of the dry DPF systems that some other manufacturers use. Sure, they sidestep the ELOYS concerns but then block in less than half the time instead as they never has a periodic regen cycle, and they have to be replaced anew as there's simply no way to clean what has become a solid piece of carbon.

You don't like it you can always go back to petrol - sure you'll use more fuel, but you avoid the expense of DPF maintenance as the car ages. Any buyer who did their homework instead of rushing to the shop eagerly clutching their piggy bank would know this.

Your question above is one you could easily have asked before you bought the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a software update for the fan running on problem.
My car was always serviced yearly at Peugeot dealers, so I assume it was updated. Im not convinced it was a problem with the fan, as on days the car was hot it wouldnt be running, but on other days where the car was at normal temperature I would reach home or work and it would start. Once I read more about Eloys and realised what it was doing, I went on a longer motorway run in fourth gear @ 70. It didnt do the fan trick for weeks after that.

Because the EU have introduced awesomely prohibitive particulate emissions limits - no one sells a diesel in the EU above 90BHP without some kind of DPF any more. without some kind of sock up the exhaust, or some breakthrough in combustion physics, it simply ain't possible to meet those targets.
But that doesnt answer why it was designed to not be user topupable. Nor does it explain why Peugeot decided to trigger the injection of more eloys by the fuel cap opening and closing, rather than by a software trigger from fuel level. Did you know you will use it up rapidly if you often fill your tank up a little rather than emptying it and filling it to the top?

·
Registered
1 Posts
lack of sense

Hi Gav308, I have a customer with the same problem on their petrol 1.6 308 and was hoping for a answer. Why confuse petrol and diesel? The post about variable timing chain issues is most probable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi good people am experiencing the same problem can anyone help please. Those who have resolve this issue ple intervin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Probably nothing to do with this but when I first got my 08 se auto I had this problem come up. It went into limp mode. I took it to peugeot and there was a recall. think it was something to do with the fuel pump but not entirely sure as I had something else done to it. They didn't charge but it ran fine after that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts