Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all I have a 308 turbo 2010,
it's a long story but for now I put $10 petrol in and drove 2km home when home I checked under the bonnet and the dipstick was covered to the top in thin oil and it smells strong of petrol.
Can someone please advise me what it could be?
Can I drive it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like an over fuelling fault. That's the usual cause of fuel in oil. Might have an injector that is stuck open. How does the engine sound? is it smooth does it misfire?

Personally I'd inspect the spark plugs before doing anything else

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
When you say the dipstick is covered to the top, is that to the very top of the dipstick or just to the top of the full mark?
If the oil has been thinned down/contaminated with fuel, do not drive it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I wouldnt drive it either till it was checked,

but mind if you have just stopped the engine you really need to wait at least 10mins before taking the dipstick out to let the oil run back to the sump,.
then take it out,wipe it then put it back in and then out again to get a true reading as the oil will be all over the dipstick with the engine being running.

but smelling of petrol doesnt sound right

Terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes your right I had just stopped the car and since then the oil level is down low ( around the normal range)
But what about the smell of the oil

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Did you put the petrol down the oil filler cap rather than in the tank so it diluted the oil in the sump? How many litres in 10 dollars?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Petrol in the Oil is normally a sign of overfueling. But these engines also have a very fast wear rate on the hones in the cyl. This will make the compressed gasses escape past the piston rings. But this is something that doesnt happen overnight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts