Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive got a 308 thats just started to overheat, went out tonight to see if theres any noticable probs but dont see any... wot can it be.. and is it easy sort..thanx..

·
Registered
59 Posts
It could be a few things. Start simple by checking the coolant level. Ensure all the hoses are getting nice and hot ( cold hoses could suggest an air lock or inefficient water pump ) Check the operation of the cooling fan by grounding the thermoswitch.
Check inside the oil filler cap for mayonaise which could indicate a blown head gasket (water in the oil) also check the coolant bottle for evidence of oil in the water.
Is your heater blowing hot or cold when the engine is warm?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive checked all the above theres no signs of any contamination, top hose gets warm and bottom hose is cold, will this be thermostat and if so is it a sealed unit or can i split thermostat from housing and replace.thanx..

·
Registered
59 Posts
What engine is it? I cant imagine the thermostat would be sealed. I have a 307 so mines quite a bit older. Let us know what engine it is but could well be the thermostat stuck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disappearing coolant in expansion bottle

Hi all. I have a 2008 308 1.6vti manual where the coolant in expansion bottle vanishes after driving for 30mins. Engine temp gauge is ok settling at 90 degrees. Car drives ok, covered 62K miles. Continually topping up reservoir.
Any thoughts please.
Thanks,
Maxie.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2008 308 1.6vti manual where the coolant in expansion bottle vanishes after driving for 30mins. Engine temp gauge is ok settling at 90 degrees. Car drives ok, covered 62K miles. Continually topping up reservoir.
Any thoughts please.
Thanks,
Maxie.
The coolant does expand and contract with use and temperature, but if you're topping up frequently, then there could be a leak.

Check the hoses into and out of the radiator for a white crystalline residue. This could be a sign of a leak.

Similarly, check the fluid in the reservoir - if it looks dirty or contaminated with oil, then you may have a bigger problem, the head gasket may have failed. Also check the reservoir cap for white "mayonnaise" like slime, and the oil filler cap for slimy brown gunk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jimmy. No apparent leaking pipes, no puddles of water on drive, no mayonaise in oil filler cap. Coolant drops to zero after 30mins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts