Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How on earth do you manage to change the N/S dipped headlight bulb on a 308, its so tight to the fuse box I cannot get my hand in let alone release the spring holding the lamp in place (bad design) !!!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
You have my sympathy, when I first got my 407, a nearside front bulb went; ½ hour later I was still fiddling trying to get it back. I took it to the Peugeot dealer and 2 workers (a parts dept bloke and a young mechanic) helped - 15 minutes later they had it in. I asked if it would be easier to take the headlamp unit out... apparently it's not, you have to take off the front bumper to do that.

Anyhoo, mine doesn't sound as bad as yours. Can you get a web-cam on a laptop down there? I often find that seeing what's down there helps.

G

·
I can do it, easy. There is a knack, but it's not difficult. S'about a 2 minute job. Cover off, clips apart, grip bulb end twixt fingers, ease it out taking care not to drop it, reverse procedure. Helps to picture what you're doing in your head, so a nosey at the more accessible headlamp will be useful.

It's not bad design...we'd only moan if our small hatchbacks were 2 feet longer in order to provide space for us to get our hands in to every component.

·
Banned
7 Posts
308 nearside headlamp bulb change

What a helpful response :)
It is a pig of a job due to the poor access which most definitely is poor/indifferent design or - if you are being cynical - a deliberate design intended to generate revenue for dealers. (Where the fitters also cuss the same job by the way).
My particular problem is made worse by the fact that it seems that a previous owner/fitter has been in there and mangled up the spring clip so that I can't undo it, never mind the bulb. So it's bumper off etc and all the joys of age hardened plastics and rusty clips.
The alternative is trying to loosen and partially (re)move the fusebox assembly but that may still not give enough room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
unfastening clip which holds bulb in place

Nothing more infuriating than a forum response which says that there isn't a problem; easy if you have a knack!
Bulb is held in with two springs; both fastened permanently at the bottom. The top ends are bent over into a loop.These fasten at the top by being pressed sideways over a retaining "bump". To unfasten simply push the two loop sideways away from the centre. The bulb can then be removed and replaced. To re-fasten the springs, press down on the springs so that they hold the bulb in place and then press sideways together to engage the "bump".
If you have a clearer explanation please post it; everyone sees things differently.

It seems to me that every car I have had, has had a different way of fastening these springs. The frustration and exasperation has led me to the view that all automotive engineers should be strangled at birth.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Get a 6 year old with double jointed wrist, then it's easy with those small hands.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Nothing more infuriating than a forum response which says that there isn't a problem; easy if you have a knack!

It seems to me that every car I have had, has had a different way of fastening these springs. The frustration and exasperation has led me to the view that all automotive engineers should be strangled at birth.
Martin - agreed on the first point - fortunately the inadequate tosser who posted that reply - along with many other equally smug but useless contributions - is no longer here. I think his Mum turned off his internet connection.

As for the second point on auto engineers - well I am one so that hurts but I know what you mean.
Some of us tried to design serviceability in to what we did.
Sometimes management didn't allow the time.
Sometimes some of us didn't care.(Not me though )
Sometimes 'the powers that be' wanted the dealers to earn more (eg Cavalier Mk 2/3 clutch)

But then there is the peculiarity that is Peugeot. And why do I keep buying them ? (Seduced by all the toys I suspect) And why don't I have any knuckles left ?

Peugeot bulb changing science is a world on it's own. I've sort of got used to it - like getting the 'flu or wondering why some people watch soaps.

·
Super Moderator
1,807 Posts
Enough with the abuse. Refresh yourselves with the forum rules or you'll be getting a holiday from here.

Reactions: trem1

·
Banned
7 Posts
Enough with the abuse. Refresh yourselves with the forum rules or you'll be getting a holiday from here.
LOL - who rattled your cage ?

1. In the context of the immature, offensive and arrogant nonsense chopper used to post (which is presumably still on here) I wasn't being abusive. If he feels he is - then good. He needs to know how it feels.
2. If abuse is so important to you why didn't you do something about it in the past ?
3. Holidays ? I only posted because someone revived a thread from 2 years ago so you will gather that I don't come here any more - partly due to your own inaction over .....wait for it......abuse.
4. Save me the trouble of working out how to delete my account and do it for me please. There's a good lad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry

Oops, I did not really mean to offend anyone. But light bulbs frequently need to be replaced. Sod's law says that they blow when you are in the Italian Alps at midnight when its blowing a blizzard and its 10 below! No wonder we get angry.
One day a manufacturer will wake up to a market that simply wants economic and trouble free transport. (And that means NO electronics-but that's another story!) Roll on the day

1 - 11 of 11 Posts