Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a GTi 270 (or 26x as in Europe, now) you'll probably be aware of the issue of noisy LSDs.

I’m now on to my second GTi 270 — now the update model. Both cars have had drivetrain/differential noise, most noticeable on tight roundabouts, performing U turns (either direction) or just tight turns into carparks etc, and my new car is much louder (it ‘moans’) than my old one. I referred this to the dealer (still under warranty), who first decided to change the strut top bearings (!) 🤦‍♂️ before changing the transmission oil. It’s still noisy, and they’ve now decided it’s the part of the power steering; they’ve ordered parts, which will take 3 mths to come to Australia from France...and, I’m betting, won’t reduce the noise!

I’ve done some research about Torsen LSDs and discovered that this ‘moaning’ noise is “a feature” 😳, but can be reduced by adding friction modifier to the transmission oil. There is a slight downside to doing this, in that there will be around 10% reduction in the torque bias ratio, but that’s not going to be very noticeable on a road car — even one with occasional track use.

• Has anyone done this?

• What did you use?

• What has been your experience?

Oh, and here are the references to ‘friction modifiers’ from the Torsen website:

Torsen® Traction

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi ttimbo,

I have a 2018 model - the diff whine/noise started at 8,000km and it eventually had two oil changes (no friction modifiers) and the noise disappeared. At the 15k service it was replaced again (scheduled maintenance item) and now on 25k and still has not returned.

The first time they changed it, they declared the noise was still there and ordered a new ‘box, but then HQ asked them to change the oil a second time and the noise disappeared.

Tight turns, roundabouts, pulling out from the kerb, etc. doesn’t produce any noise from the diff or ’box like it did when it first appeared.

A friend with the same model had a similar experience at around 10k and the oil was changed at the 15k service, then “STURACO FM 1992- KS additive” added due to a bulletin, when the dealership had obtained some a short time later. He seems to think the noise had gone when the gearbox oil was changed, before the additive was obtained.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this!
VERY helpful -- I wonder if your friend can get his hands on the TSB, as my (Canberra) dealer has no idea. It would be great to at least get the reference.
By the way, I've discovered the STURACO additive also has M-B and ZF part numbers:
M-B part# A000989203;
ZF part# S671_600_020.

Mine is a 2018 model, too -- just on 9,500km now. My previous 2016 made some noise, but not nearly as much; it may diminish over time.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You can register on servicebox, enter your VIN and see if TSB documents are available where you live. If yes, pay 1 hour of subscription and save all TSB into PDF.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can register on servicebox, enter your VIN and see if TSB documents are available where you live. If yes, pay 1 hour of subscription and save all TSB into PDF.
Thank you for this advice. I shall try it — although my last experience with servicebox in Australia was that it was very slow. Hopefully, that was just a temporary issue

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Luckily, Service Box worked well for me -- perhaps because I accessed during European night time

There is a Technical Service Bulletin -- B2CW015GQ0 -- "RUBBING, GROWLING CYCLIC NOISE AT THE GEARBOX"

This TSB confirms the recommended service action after diagnosis to be:
1. drain gearbox
2. refill using HBVFE 2 75W-transmission gearbox oil (p/n 16 180 784 80) (2.1L)
3. add 70g (0.075L) STURACO FM 1992-KS additive (ZF p/n confirmed as S671 600 020. See also www.home.quakerhoughton.com to find the reseller in your country

Hope that helps

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added 75ml of Penrite LimSlip friction modifier to the gearbox...and noise gone.

(Would have loved to use the STURACO additive in the TSB, but that seems to be some form of unobtainium in Australia at the moment)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. All quiet, though I daresay I’ll need to add the friction modifier each time the transmission oil is changed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, my 2016 270 has 92,000km now and I haven't noticed any considerable noises but will now listen out for the whine/moan. I had the gearbox oil changed at 90,000km when I bought it as part of a service. That was the 3rd time the gbox oil had been changed. No problems with it so far.
I'll try the Penrite Limslip and fresh oil if I notice anything from now onwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi ttimbo
I have read your posts with great interest as I have the same Torsen LSD noise in my 208 GTi BPS that you described (now at 12,000km).
I replaced the gearbox oil with the correct Peugeot spec HBVFE 2 75W and the noise issue did not improve, in fact is more prevalent now.
You added 75ml of Penrite Limslip and the noise issue was resolved, so I wanted to check in with you that is still the case.
As an alternative, I was thinking of replacing the oil with Red Line MT-90 GL-4, as the higher viscosity range may better suit the operation of the Torsen LSD.
Thank you and anyone else for advice in advance.
Kind Regards, Mark

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Mark
I understand some owners have achieved good results with alternative gearbox oils that match Peugeot‘a spec for the car and which also incorporate friction modifiers. You need to check if the oil you want to use is therefore suitable in that respect — I don’t know
I also understand there is an updated Total gearbox oil that Peugeot is now recommending, which incorporates some friction modification properties (can’t tell you exactly what it is and I hope someone else chips in )
The Penrite Limslip additive is a really simple solution and — for me — yielded instant results
Finally, don’t sweat too much about the noise — it’s a property of most LSDs and the FWD installation in our cars, with steering adding complexity, makes the issue more noticeable but it’s not a serious problem, as Torsten themselves explain on their website

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you very much ttimbo for your quick and considered reply, and ianbarges72 for your offer of reporting back after your service.
I hadn't seen that particular article on the Torsen website and it was very helpful and reassuring to read that the noise I hear is a typical feature of operation of the Torsen LSD, and may be controlled by simple addition of friction modifiers.
I already have the Penrite LimSlip so will try adding 75ml of it first up - that's the easiest intervention, and I get to keep the Peugeot spec oil, which is my preference.
Great help guys, very much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to report back to readers that I added 75ml of Penrite Limslip to the Peugeot spec HBVFE 2 75W transmission oil and after about 20 minutes of road testing, including roundabouts, 3 point turns and driveway negotiating, I could not replicate the Torsen LSD noise issue that I had been experiencing. So great result, and big thanks to ttimbo for his advice! I'll report back again after more extensive driving over the coming weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car 2016 GTi 270 is getting a service on Friday and I have the Penrite Limslip ready to hand over and will have it added. Will report back any findings next week.
Hi just adding some feedback after a week of driving with the Limslip added. Im finding that the gear changes are slightly smoother in all gears since it was added. Ive been driving in cold weather sometimes -2 or -3 degrees starts so expect gearbox oil to be cold however the additive has helped 1st-2nd and 2-3rd changes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts