Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My brothers engine has just over heated and also lost all oil and water.
He's on the back of a recovery truck at the moment so I don't know the full extent of the damage.
But he says the engine is very noisey so I'm guessing the big ends might of failed aswell as the head gasket.
My question is this...
If I have to swap his engine for a good one, can I use an engine out if another model or does it have to be a 308 engine?

His car is a 1.4 petrol 2009 model.

Hopefully it's just head gasket job because he said the noisey engine was after he let it cool down and he started the engine again it was noisey. He turned it straight off when he heard the noise.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If its got as hot as it sounds its better replaced

No warranty ?

206/307 engines probably same so should not be too hard to find just check the codes and peugeot tend to change bits over the years

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

No warrenty we bought it from a private seller.

When he gets home I will check what engine code it is and see if I can find a match on one for sale.

A quick search shows the 308 engines sell for around £1000

Where as the 206 engines sell from as little as £150

A big difference.

He's only had the car about 3 months and is in the armed forces so it dosnt get used much. Only when on leave.
Hopefully It's not done any real damage and I can fix it cheap for him.

Either way I've got some grubby work to keep me swearing for a while lol

D

·
0 Posts
This a bmw engine and not the same as the 206. Make sure to get one with nice low miles.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh bugger! Lol

The one that's in has only done 40k that's why we went for it, it's an ex motability car with full service history.
It was serviced the morning we picked it up 3 months ago.

C

·
0 Posts
A Thrashability motor, eh? Forget your Lambos and Fezzas, Motability cars are the fastest in the world.

Sounds like its well and truly cooked. Did he not take heed of the multiple warning lights prior to pressing on regardless?

Daves right, its the Prince engine so you're stuck with sourcing one from another 308 or maybe a 207. Not likely to be cheap.

A lot of cars in this situation seem to mysteriously catch fire, according to insurers. Can't think why...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still haven't found out what damage has been caused, the car wouldn't start when it got back here. Flat battery, charges it up and it would t fire up so I removed the ht leads to find them coverd in oil.
The plastic rocker cover had melted. Letting oil out onto 2 plugs and over the manifold.
I've orderd a new rocker cover which arrives tomorrow.
I'm hoping the noise my brother heard was the cams because of less oil I. The engine.
There's still about 3 litres of oil in the engine.

Has anyone else ever experienced the rocker cover melting?
If so what damage happened to the engine?

I so hope the big ends are ok!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi all,

My brothers engine has just over heated and also lost all oil and water.
He's on the back of a recovery truck at the moment so I don't know the full extent of the damage.
But he says the engine is very noisey so I'm guessing the big ends might of failed aswell as the head gasket.
My question is this...
If I have to swap his engine for a good one, can I use an engine out if another model or does it have to be a 308 engine?

His car is a 1.4 petrol 2009 model.

Hopefully it's just head gasket job because he said the noisey engine was after he let it cool down and he started the engine again it was noisey. He turned it straight off when he heard the noise.
hi there i have had to just replace my engine and the cheapest place i found was Home as it worked out cheaper than me getting one locally hope it does not come to this but with noises when starting after it blew water and oil every where dont sound to good but good luck

C

·
0 Posts
I've never seen a used engine yet that was advertised as "high mileage"...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

I have replaced the rocker cover and put everything back together, charged the battery and tried to start the engine, but it only turns over it won't fire up.
I have removed spark plugs and wanted it over to empty the bores of fuel and heated the spark plugs up and put them back in and tried again but it dosnt try to fire up at all.
Has anyone got any tips?

With having the battery off for days would it activate an immobiliser?

The display inside the car flashes active locking system. Is that for the radio or something else?

Before it was trying to fire but now nothing.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Seriously if the engine was hot enough to melt the rocker cover its goosed :)

Do a compression test you will no doubt find it has very little/none

Immobilisers do not work the way people think they do they do not kick in or activate to disable the car they work EVERY time the key is removed reinserting the key and turning it on disarms it NORMALLY

The code could have been lost during battery swap but it is unlikely

C

·
0 Posts
Its goosed more that a traditional Christmas dinner. Seriously cooked. You'd be more likely to have Lord Lucan I've you a tip about next weeks litter numbers than start that motor up now. Likely there's less compression than in a fat whores knickers when Mr Chipolata pops round for a fivers worth.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its goosed more that a traditional Christmas dinner. Seriously cooked. You'd be more likely to have Lord Lucan I've you a tip about next weeks litter numbers than start that motor up now. Likely there's less compression than in a fat whores knickers when Mr Chipolata pops round for a fivers worth.
You have such a way with words chopper :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again guys.

We had to buy another engine in the end. Compression was down.

We've had a garage fit the new engine but for some reason the engine will only turn over and fire up. It won't idle at all I just cuts out.
The diagnostic check dosnt throw any codes up.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Might be a pipe off somewhere allowing it to draw air making mixture to weak at idle

But then thats just 1 possible reason :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All hoses are conected rite mate.

There's no air leaks...

I'm wondering if when the engine over heated (cooked) maybe a sensor failed and shorted the ecu out?
The new engine came with all the sensors on so it should of been a straight engine swap, plug in and play,,,?

I know the keys are programmed into the ecu, are any of the sensors?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All sorted thanks

managed to find someone local who deals with peugeots daily and he has reflashed the ecu and sorted it out for us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts