Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
2006 petrol 1.6 100k miles
Just wondered if anyone has seen anything like this before, this had been using lots more oil recently and then all of a sudden the engine case has cracked cuing steam explosion :(

I have juicy pics but not able to add them.

A mechanic with a lot of experience thinks the timing chain tensioner has snapped, which has flung bolts up that caused the crack. This also has worn a hole between oil and coolant areas deep down that explains why the coolant is now black with oil.
Funnily enough it did still start and run without any weird noises.
Anyone else heard of this? Seems pretty bad that this could happen as have been told this has a timing chain that doesn't feature in any service interval.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The timing chain tensioners are an issue on the Prince/THP engine, but normally give warning they are wearing by allowing the chain to rattle. Giving the characteristic diesel-esque clatter from a cold start.

Never heard of failure like this though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm it has been rattly for quite a while but only noticeable when accelerating. I'd assumed it was something like a loose bit of casing somewhere.
Surely pressure alone couldn't split the engine casing (it's the section that contains the oil filler hole)
It seems I need to post "more" to put an image in, it's quite a sight...

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I was brought today a 207 cc with that engine it has done 31k miles and it is knackered !!!

It was sick all over the motorway and sounds like it is full of bolts :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts