Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just got myself a brand new 308 (UK model) with an automatic parking brake. It works fine and feel as if it is useful. However, when reversing out of my drive, it does sometimes not release for some reason. I am finding I need to push to handbrake button forward, put my foot on brake pedal then accelerate through the bitting point.

I have checked the manual and online manuals and can't see anywhere where there is a breakdown of the exact procedure for releasing this. Moving forwards, it seems to just release but reversing seems to be activing differently or the procedure is slightly different.

Anyone got a brakedown of the exact steps you need to make to make this a smooth ride? It's the first car with an automatic handbrake so all new to me!

Thanks
Fraser

·
Registered
462 Posts
Are you on the flat for this reversing?
My drive is upwards so my reversing out is downhill to come out under engine power is frightening and dangerous as it would just shoot out into the road.
I release handbrake by hand and let it roll down controlling speed with foot brake, only appling power when I can see clearly the road situation, I'm in a cul de sac so no through traffic.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Is your driveway on a slope & if it is which way round do you park the car on it?

As well as automatic release on the parking brake - the 308 also has hill hold assist to stop the car rolling backwards when facing uphill.

It applies the brakes for a few seconds to help achieve a smooth pull away.

You will know when the system is in operation as the brake lights illuminate without your foot on the brake pedal.

I would suspect the car is parked facing uphill on your drive & the hill hold assist system is stopping the car rolling backwards when the parking brake is released.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes drive is on a slight slope with car parked nose first so reversing out onto the road. This is all new to me - used to just taking handbrake off myself, but releasing it manually and using brake to control may be way forward. Haven't yet parked in a car park so may be a case of trial and error before getting right way of handling this.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
If the brake lights stay on for a few seconds after you release the brake pedal then it will be the hill hold assist system that is trying to stop the car rolling backwards.

Could ask someone to watch the brake lights for you? Then maybe consult the owners manual on the systems operation.

I love the electric parking brake on my 308, really easy system to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts