Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2008 model 1.6hdi 308. I wondered if the alternator has a fuse or relay somewhere. I've searched everywhere, although obviously not enough I guess. Hence why I'm here. I plugged in a 12v battery to charge up in the boot through the 12v socket while I was taking it over to a friend. I've done it before in a 406 without problems but now we're talking 308, which gives me problems even when I just look at it. Never mind getting in it and wanting to go somewhere. Anyway, halfway through the journey, electrical fault flashed up on the dash and now it won't charge the battery. I've tested the alternator and had it replaced and it seems to work fine but it's just not sending a message to the battery to charge up. I assume something has either tripped or blown but can't seem to find any reference as to what anywhere. Any help or suggestion would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Sounds like you have overloaded something 12 volt sockets are generally rated at 10 amps so i would be looking for a blown fuse somewhere it could be in the dash fusebox/BSI or underbonnet fusebox.

I would not try that again as if you were charging a flat battery it can easily draw more than 10 amps when engine is running.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
... I've tested the alternator and had it replaced and it seems to work fine but it's just not sending a message to the battery to charge up.....
Unless your car is very different to anything I've encountered, there is no question of "sending a message to the battery to charge up". A good battery will charge if the voltage across the terminals is high enough (say 13.5 V to 14.2 V typically). If it is not charging, the voltage will be lower (say 12.0 to 12.5V), and if that is the case, the alternator is usually at fault.

If the voltage is high, but the battery does not take/hold charge, it probably has internal damage. Take the car to a battery sales outlet and ask them to test it.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
That conclusion is fine for older cars where the battery light is the trigger for the alternator to start charging but modern alternators are smart chargers and are controlled by the BSI so a perfectly good alternator may not charge even though the battery light goes out leading to confusion as you would expect the light going out means its charging and it may not be.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Fair enough, but, irrespective of the indicator lamp, if the voltage across the terminals is high enough, a good battery will charge, so all I am saying is to put a voltmeter across the battery terminals with the engine running. If that's ok and it does not get charged, the battery has to be at fault.

If the voltage is not ok, I take the point that the BSI may be failing to correctly excite the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts