Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am having trouble with my 308 again. I have just returned from a long trip to London and back, to which the car drove fine with no issues. This morning I have gone to get in the car to go for a drive and have found that it doesn't start.

It seems that the power is there from the battery but it doesn't crank, just makes quick tapping noises. The first time I tried to start it, basically every error code came up on the display screen in the middle of the dash, such like brake pump error, fuel error, abs error, ignition error the list goes on. After that it just went into economy mode and when I turn the key in the ignition to the first position everything will turn on for a few seconds and then whole dash goes dark. If I then try to crank it I get the clicking noises.

I have tried to jump it and charge the battery but to no avail as it just does the exact same thing. I have checked the fuses under the bonnet and none of them appear to be blown. I have also sanded and cleaned the terminals on the battery.

Has anyone had this and know of any fixes. I don't have a way of testing voltage to cables which is hindering me but wondered if anyone has experienced this before and what they did to fix it?

·
7,059 Posts
Sounds like a failed battery. did you connect jump leads to battery or battery + and a good earth point

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe something else, but the following indicate insufficient battery charge for Peugeot systems to work.
.clicking sound
.Myriad of error lights
.Economy mode after a few seconds
Good if you could get a proper battery test.
(Don’t be surprised after a long trip as Pug fuel saving alias “smart charging” only delivers substantive charge on trailing throttle. No trailing throttle and your battery will be worse at the end of the trip than when you started)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a failed battery. did you connect jump leads to battery or battery + and a good earth point
I connected the jump leads to the terminal points on the battery. The battery was still wired in and the leads just go over the top. I also disconnected the battery and put it on charge for a few hours

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sounds much like a knackered battery to me.

Make sure the replacement is AGM start / stop suitable if your 308 has start / stop fitted.

Also follow the correct BSI shut down / reboot procedure while you exchange the battery ( 3 minute rule )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds much like a knackered battery to me.

Make sure the replacement is AGM start / stop suitable if your 308 has start / stop fitted.

Also follow the correct shut BSI down / reboot procedure while you exchange the battery ( 3 minute rule )
Some else has just mentioned an agm battery to me, are they important to get?

Current one is just a standard lead acid, don't recognise the brand though.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If your 308 has stop / start fitted then it needs to have a stop / start suitable battery fitted which will highly likey be an AGM one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you use standard acid battery on your car , don't expect too many months of charge. It will die prematurely. If you buy an AGM battery: it can survive few years before dying. Usually couple of years.
So for how long did your acid lead battery work?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
FWIW - Just fitted a new Varta silver dynamic battery to my mothers Mondeo yesterday to replace a worn out Bosch ( Varta in disguise ) silver battery that had failed after 10 years.

My 308 factory fitted battery is still working fine at 4.5 years old including the stop / start system.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It depends on weather. In europe AGM bat can last 5+ years. In tropical climate :half.
This is also the reason you get 4 years warranty for varta in the UK and 2 years in tropical/hot countries.
But lead acid on S&S system like one installed in PSA, will shorten the battery life even more due to high voltage charging :14v+

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a friend with a tester come out and the battery was completely dead, putting out about 9v when not under load so effectively the long drive appeared to kill it off. The battery was about 13 months old, it was a lead acid battery type 100 I believe.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Doubtful that long drive killed it. That's just coincidence. If only 14 months, maybe you have a warranty, at least in my country, batteries have 2 years of it.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a friend with a tester come out and the battery was completely dead, putting out about 9v when not under load so effectively the long drive appeared to kill it off. The battery was about 13 months old, it was a lead acid battery type 100 I believe.
To avoid the same again you should consider a USB voltage reader for <€10, which will keep you informed on charge, and a clever battery charger. No need to spend big on CTEK as Lidl sell a good cheap one, I have both and they work equally well. Club Motorhome | The Motorhome Social Network
You could look at this post for explanation. 1.2 PureTech 130 Alternator output, fuel saving and...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I no longer have the receipt so can't even remember where its from (something to learn from).
I've gotten a new battery today, another lead acid one and I'll see how it goes. I have another long drive coming up soon so I'll monitor it around then and check voltages throughout the journey maybe.
One thing I did find odd is that all the recommended lead acid batteries that came up were type 96, the smaller type that don't quite fit in the battery tray and I needed to make a small bracket, only ones that came type 100 style were the agm batteries.
Not sure why no one seemed to have a type 100 lead acid as it evidently had one before.
Rang through to a local car components, eurocarparts, Halfords etc and they all only had type 96 lead acid for the car or type 100 agm going by the license plate

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Do you have stp start on your car? If so a lead acid will not last, you do need an AGM type battery,
Go to the Rayna website, we met your reg no. and they will show the range they stock. You won't beat by their prices.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have stp start on your car? If so a lead acid will not last, you do need an AGM type battery,
Go to the Rayna website, we met your reg no. and they will show the range they stock. You won't beat by their prices.
When lead acid batteries don’t last I believe it is not stop start that is the culprit, but (Peugeot) smart charging.
1. Lead acid batteries last a long while in taxis, with frequent hot starting. SS is mostly hot starting. And SS is often blocked by one of the dozens of pre-conditions, in a way that taxis cannot avoid starts.
2. Lead acid should only be safely discharged to 75%, and should be fully recharged to avoid sulphation commencing. Peugeot smart charging breaks both these rules. Lead acid loses 4-6% charge per month when standing.
3. AGM can be safely discharged to 50%, and does not deteriorate to the same extent when left in a partially charged state. They lose 3% per month standing. They are more smart charge friendly.
So lead acid should be good for long life even with SS, if you frequently use a clever charger to obey the 2 rules- connect charger immediately they drop to 75%, 12.4V, and recharge to 100%, 12.7V often and maintain on trickle if leaving for more than 2 weeks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts