Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Having various problems with our 308 1.2 Puretech 130.

Symptoms are hesitation upon accelerating, low speed (engine speed) knock/misfire (around 2k rpm, gentle accelerate - duh duh duh, big loss of power/stutter - almost stall - before going again. Very dangerous)

Garage diagnostics have been at different times overheating / temp sensor issue, catalytic converter error, spark plugs failing/crumbling, misfire.

So far have replaced spark plugs and that seemed to resolve the issue for a couple of months.

However, the issue has returned.

I think this is all due to low speed pre-ignition in the engine.

I use Shell V-Power (99ron) and that helps. My wife just filled it with normal Shell (95ron) and LSPI is back.

The car has been serviced to schedule, I'm not sure what oil the garage used, it wasn't main dealer.

Things to do:

a) I'm also going to change the oil to a LSPI reducing oil. I Millers do a version. New filter as well.

b) May need to change the sparks again if they've been damaged by the LSPI.

Questions:

1) Has anyone else had similar problems - I've seen reports of misfire, error codes etc? Do we think these are all attributed to LSPI? Has any dealer mentioned LSPI?

I've read that they initially just change oil and filter, as oil has a significant impact on LSPI - end game is new engine... (mines out of warrenty so I don't want that)

2) Any recommendations for a LSPI oil that meets PSA standards - could I use 5/30 rather than 0/30?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car may be out of warranty but major items are supposed to last 6 years. See following link. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/106548/i-m-having-engine-issues-with-my-two-year-old-peugeot---do-i-have-any-rights-

A pity the servicing was not done by main dealer because it would have made claims easier.

Hope this helps.
Thanks - someones mentioned there's a ECU update for older cars, which may apply to ours. Will check and get it booked into the dealer. May have to stump up some ££ to get it looked at and oil/filter/sparks, but then at least I'll have something to go back to them with should it reoccur (when it reoccurs...)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't these engines use a wet belt? If so, you *NEED* to use the correct manufacturer recommended engine oil.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
As BIGK says, on these engines the timing belt runs in an oil bath so it's imperative that oil of the correct spec is used or the belt could be damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Both oil specs are approved for this engine ( 2297 and 2312 ). One is 0w30 the other is 5w30 . Both works for this engine . What weather /temperature do you usually drive in ?
Timing belt can still crumble under perfect treatment as described else where in this forum. Have you replaced/examibed belt ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Both oil specs are approved for this engine ( 2297 and 2312 ). One is 0w30 the other is 5w30 . Both works for this engine . What weather /temperature do you usually drive in ?
Timing belt can still crumble under perfect treatment as described else where in this forum. Have you replaced/examibed belt ?
Thank for your info!
My country average temperature between 30~40 degrees C in summer, I will replace my timing belt in 60000 km.

And have anybody hear or know vibration (Idle speed instability) issue about this engines? Our agent only replace spark plug or clean carbon deposit, not complete solution, so vibration again and again, have any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
These engines do vibrate in idle mode. It is a 3 cylinder engine so it is unbalanced.
Yes it's a 3 cylinder but I find it hardly vibrates at idle.
The Puretech engine has a counterweight designed to balance the engine & it works.

Compare it to a Ford Eco Boost, they make the ramp rattle at my friends garage as that engine isnt well balanced.

The Puretech is direct injection & the inlet valves will suffer with carbon build up which will cause rough running. This car really should go to a Peugeot main dealer for correct diagnosis.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Having said that , some early batch of 1.2 puretech engine do suffer from unstable revs at idle which amplifies the vibration. There is no known fix for those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies guys.

Found a big thread on the German Pug forum about this:

https://www.peugeotboard.de/threads/57837-1-2l-puretech-130-Motor-stottert-Aussetzer/page1

Open it in Google Chrome and it will translate to English.

All the same symptoms as I've got. Various issues identified (including fuel tank pushing air through - I don't think this is the case with me). Main ones are:
Software update
Petrol ron
Coil packs
Oil and sparkplugs

Essentially it's LSPI and there's no fix, just work to minimise it.

Spoke to the local pug dealer - they have had similar issues. He knew it wouldn't log an error, so says he needs exact time/rev/speed of misfire to manually look through the computer log reports and find out what's happening.

Booked in for 12th August - will update this thread when I've been to the dealers.

Will be having:
Diagnostics
Software update
New sparks
Oil and Filter

Will run on Shell V-Power 99ron and monitor.

On the rough idle issue - our is fine, smooth and steady. Just don't try to accelerate in it....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bit late on the update.

Had a engine management software update that is meant to solve all these issues - knock, stutter etc. THe service guy read out a list of issues it was meant to address - all of which are differnt ways of describing LSPI.

Did it make a difference - yes. Engine hasn't had these issues since. So hopefully that's the end of it.

I've returned to 95ron fuel as 99ron didn't make any difference to economy. I did some long motorway journeys and it was pretty much the same on both fuels, so 99ron isn't worth the extra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts