Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone suffered a cam belt failure after only 56k miles on a 3 1/2 year old car? I am not happy about it. I am quite capable of doing the job myself but find it unacceptable - to be honest I thought it was a chain until I started looking online. I expect the valves will be damaged, but before I take the head off is it likely to have done more damage, i.e. pistons or valve guides?

I will be requiring specs at some point such as torque settings and tightening sequences so I'm hoping someone here can help with that.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Are you aware that it's a "wet" belt on the 1.2 engine, i.e. the belt runs in engine oil, therefore it may not be as straightforward to replace as a normal cam belt. Also, if you search the forums you will find several instances of cambelt failure on these engines, the belt crumbles and crumbs enter the engine blocking oilways and causing other problems. See here for example

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-2014-122/timing-belt-crumbles-causing-clogged-oil-system-333046/

and here

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/3008-2017-138/complete-engine-rebuild-340238/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am, that's why I thought it was a chain as I couldn't see the conventional covers of a 'normal' belt - but should it fail at 56k miles?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Have another look at my reply above, I have now added a couple of search results for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, yes I agree that a rubber belt running in oil seems to be a stupid idea - not sure that more frequent oil changes suggested will prolong its life. Sadly I have no history with the car, only had it since April and had a fuel pressure problem that the seller tried to cover up and seems that he tried to fix it but gave up - that's another story but that is now fixed.

Coming back to the present problem I am thinking of approaching Peugeot but without any history I am not hopeful they will do anything about it

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Maybe a replacement engine from a crashed / damaged car would be a better way forward?

Stripping down, repairing & rebuilding one of these Puretech engines isnt going to be cheap or even easy outside the Peugeot / Citroen dealership network as there are special tools required.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, yes I read that and I may yet tackle Peugeot on Monday.

I have started on the job and first checked to see if I have any compression in any cylinders. Ok, I can't crank the engine but by carefully turning the camshafts till the valves are closed I put some compressed air into the cylinders and that pushes the pistons down, and I can hear no leaks from either inlet or exhaust ports, so it appears that the valves may be ok. The real test will be once I have the new belt installed to do a compression check before I get everything bolted up. Still need the locking tools for the shafts so the belt isn't off yet, hope to get them this week

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Please keep us posted on progress, it will be interesting to know what sort of job it turns out to be. Best wishes and good luck with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will. I still can't believe that no valves have been damaged - ok, it was only a crude test so I'm not holding my breath yet. Can't do anything more with it now till I have the belt and the tools but it does look to be a fairly straightforward job. I have 4 hours in it so far but I'm taking my time as my back is playing up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made some backward progress with this...yes, progress, but backward! Firstly Peugeot dealers have said that without any service history they will not be prepared to contribute towards the repair. I then spoke to their customer service who said they would look into it and come back to me. One week later and I still have not heard back from them.

Got the new belt and put it on. Before replacing everything else I did a compression check and it came back 100, 175, 175, so it appears we have a compression problem on cyl 1. For a few seconds I was almost tempted to put it all back together and hope the light misfire wouldn't be obvious...but with a 3 cylinder engine I guess I wouldn't get away with it - even when running well it feels like it's misfiring - and it may also throw up some fault codes.

So, the head is coming off!!! I've got as far as I can for now, everything is undone except for the head bolts but I need a deep and slim E12 socket to get to some of them. I have ordered one on ebay as I can't find one locally...they all laugh at me! It isn't the easiest of jobs as there is quite a lot of pipework and fiddly stuff to remove, and the engine mounting has to be removed from one side and the engine supported from underneath, but there were no unpleasant surprises yet. I just hope I can remember how it all goes back together as I haven't labelled anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is very strange, Head is off and stripped and it seems like all the exhaust valves are bent - that in itself doesn't surprise me but what does is that there was good compression on cylinders 2 and 3, even with bent valves! And they were holding petrol when I turned the head upside down and put some in the chambers - only cylinder 1 was leaking into the exhaust ports. :confused:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This is only the 2nd Puretech engine I've heard of that's suffered an actual timing belt failure - if it had a full main dealer service history it would have been replaced FOC ( Like the first one I heard about )

Just find a good / used running engine from an accident damaged car & swop the complete engine over.

These are highly stressed engines, yours has suffered a catastrophic failure & theres no knowing what other damage has been done to the power unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks MrLee, I get what you're saying but there is no reason to suspect any other damage apart from the valves. It doesn't take much to bend a valve. Pistons are not damaged, valve guides look good, and I already have all the parts on order - should be arriving tomorrow except that I need to order 4 more exhaust valves at £35 per valve!

As for Peugeot, once I have completed the job I will approach them again as they have not yet had the courtesy to come back to me as they promised. There is a law that says vehicles do not have to be serviced by a main dealer to qualify for warranty claims. The problem here however is that a) it is just out of warranty, and b) it has no service history whatsoever. The only evidence I have is the service counter that said there were roughly 8000 miles (out of 16000) to go to the next service when I serviced it immediately after purchasing the car. I reset the counter and have covered less than 3000 miles since then. Peugeot recommend cam belt changes at 112000 miles or 10 years - this car has only covered 56000 miles and is only 4 years old, so I am hoping that they will contribute as a good will measure.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It's out of manufacturer warranty, it has no service history & now you have already taken it apart - Peugeot are well within there right NOT to offer any help.

This is a car any sensible person wouldn't have bought due to its young age & also lack of Peugeot service history.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Actually the law says it doesn't have to be serviced by a franchised dealer, but can be serviced by any VAT registered garage provided it is done to the manufacturer's specification. Servicing it yourself does not cover this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Brilec, yes that's the law I was referring to in post #14 above but as I said there is no service history whatsoever as that has been lost somewhere before I came along. I do have a garage business but sadly not VAT registered, and I have only done the last service since acquiring the car in April.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back together and running - had a bit of a panic when it fired up but just wouldn't run till I realised I hadn't tightened to fuel pipes out of the high pressure pump. Got a bit of an exhaust blow somewhere near the turbo area but have to wait till it cools down a bit to take the shield off to have a look.

Can anyone tell me what type of antifreeze this takes? It is blue/green in colour so does that mean it is the old ethylene-glycol?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sorted the exhaust blow now, still hoping someone can come up with an answer about the type of antifreeze.

I thought it may be wise to mention some of the things I spotted along the way and also advice from my local Peugeot service department who have been very helpful with technical matters.

The first thing to do is to remove the sump and clear all the bits of belt lying in the bottom, and also from the oil pickup. I noticed some crud when I removed the cam dephasers from the head and that was bits of belt that had found their way into the oil system. The Peugeot service chap said that was normal after a belt failure and also got me to check the similar unit that sits next to the crank pulley, although he could not tell me what its operation was, (I found out later it's called an 'oil pump solenoid valve' - so maybe an oil pressure relief valve?). Also, he said, check the strainer in the oilway into the vac pump, and sure enough that was also blocked with bits of belt. Peugeot he said actually recommend the vac pump is replaced but neither he or I could work out why, so I just cleaned the oilway and see what happens. The last thing he suggested was to do a double oil and filter change to hopefully clear out most of the foreign matter from the engine.

Once I've done all that I think I will do a few hundred miles and check the oilways into the dephasers and vac pump - if they are clear it probably means all the crap has gone.

Haven't been able to run it up properly yet as I can't put water in it till I get an answer about the antifreeze.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts