Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2.0HDi 136, with a steering problem. Symptoms are:

1. Vague steering just off-centre to the right - feels like the back might come round (and it has, once, although easily controllable)
2. Major torque steer when changing lanes, as the wheels cross from one lane to the next.

No knocking coming from front end.

I'm thinking wishbone bushes, or balljoint, or both. Any other suggestions?

If I buy new wishbones but not balljoints, do I still need the dirty great 41mm bolt, or just the nice sane 22mm one?

Thanks
W

D

·
0 Posts
Have you swopped the front wheels to the back and vise versa.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you swopped the front wheels to the back and vise versa.

Sent from my GT-S5690
No, haven't done anything so far. I'll try that at the weekend when I've got some evening light.

Is the pug really that sensitive to tyre wear front and rear?

Sounds like the rear wheel bearings have gone....feels like driving a boat?
I don't think it's that - the car shimmies over lane changes but tugs on the steering wheel, which implies front end not back. No rumbling or humming coming from the back, no play in the wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. It happened again this morning. Pushed the front, then the back came round. Doing about 15mph. Round a right-hand bend, just like last time. Gives me no confidence to build up speed.

No way should any car behave like this. I've never driven anything like it.

Replaced rear discs 'cos they were worn, so have new rear bearings as part of the deal. Mechanic checked front and rear arm bushes and balljoints, could find little sign of wear. Tyres have plenty of life left in them.

I'm supposed to be driving this car across Spain with my family on board in a couple of weeks, but I currently think it's too dangerous.

To recap: Steering feels vague when the wheel's about 1 o'clock. Crossing lanes on the motorway tugs the steering wheel quite badly. Left hand bends are no problem, it's only right-handers. There is an occasional deep, but fairly quiet, knocking coming from the left rear of the car.

Has anybody got a clue what this problem might be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts