Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just discovered this forum and hoping you can help!
I'll try explain in as much detail to give the best description I can....

My Peugeot failed it's MOT 10 days ago on a ceased brake and drop links. My car has autolights, but what I didn't know was when the garage pulled the car round he put the lights on manually. So I just jumped out when I got home and killed battery with leaving the lights on.

We jumped it off with leads (having just read that you shouldn't, wasn't aware of this at all) car started fine and parked it up to do the work.

We decided to do them ourselves rather then pay the garage. We sorted it all no problem went to start it after a week and nothing.

Car will lock/unlock with central locking

Turn key once and dash lights up (not odometer or oil ok etc) flashes economy mode on dash screen and clock flashes

Try to start it and It just clicks once and blows the 20amp starter solenoid fuse.

We have tried replacing with a 25amp fuse as also read on some forums and hasn't fixed it.

Battery is fine holding voltage but don't think this is the problem but more some sort of electrical/starting issue.

Jumps off being towed by another car (not sure if this helps but did this twice today and started fine)

Any help/suggestions/things to try would be fantastic

·
Registered
182 Posts
check wires on starter motor are not shortihg out on something.. follow all the way to altanator.

that click sound is the solonoid on the starter , so that is good.
But seems like a short on the motor itself blowing the fuse and not turning the starter motor.

also check all your earth wires.

HAve you done beep test also.. Just to see the ECU sees your keys?
leave keys in igniotion. close door open door you should get beeps.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I'd suspect an internal short in the starter. The positive supply is obviously getting to the starter but not shorting until the solenoid energises. This rules out a cable shorting to ground. I'd guess it's one of the starter windings that is shorting. I'd replace the starter - maybe a used one from a scrapyard would be considered as long as they have a decent returns policy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts