Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new 307sw 56 plate last week pleased with the car but very disappointed with sound system As the cd player also controls the car configuration lights wipers ect, it doesn’t seem practical to change it.
are the speakers in these poor quality or is it the head unit?
Has anybody improved the sound by replacing the speakers in a 307sw and what size are they, also do i have to remove the door cards or just the speaker grills.
Must admit I would have expected better sound system in a SE version car.
Any help appreciated.

kevh

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cd player does not control the car the cars computer controls it, anyway front speakers indash simple door ones a headache, sound is not the best, but depends on what ones expect from a luxury car as opposed to a sports car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not expecting top end sound the 307,s speakers lack bass and distort just thought peugeot would have made an effort in a SE model.

·
Registered
256 Posts
kevh: not expecting top end sound the 307,s speakers lack bass and distort just thought peugeot would have made an effort in a SE model.

Agreed they do distort, my old hyundai had immaculate sound but that had more to do with the position of the six speakers, above the door sills is the best place for the tweaters and not the dash, maybe something peugeot should look into, I agree with you, the only issue with fitting new speakers is how will they work with the mutliplex computer when the indicators are on and also if you have reverse assist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Do have reverse assist,
so im going to start by removing door cards and changing the speakers to something like vibe,kenwwod ect hopefully i can find something that will go straight in as i dont want to cut and of the car about.i think its 17cm front and 13 cm back

kevh

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm not sure how peugeot have wired them up assumably they still have 2 wires but knowing the french every component in the car has had a multiplex makeover.

Good luck let me know how it turns out, also can you let me know what kind of inner door shield there is, is it either clear plastic or a solid cover, curious to find out, saw a volkswagon golf one day with out the door cards on and there was another door cover concealing the locks and wiring, seems like good practice is automotive design.:) :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i keep hearing the term multiplex what does this mean?

i have seen some adaptors on ebay with plug one end and spade connectors the other for fitting aftermarket speakers without cutting any wires.

kevh

·
Registered
256 Posts
From my orignal post:

Peugeot Vehicle computer explanation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like many homes Cbus is a system that links, wiring, sound and communication systems in one. The Cbus system allows for only two wires + and - in the cars with the data or computer codes travelling on top of the copper wires, thus saving the excessive wires from conventional systems and saving costs to the owner and the manufacturer. The system can be upgraded and fixed and best of all there are no moving parts apart from the engine.

Also in many of the forums, owners adding a new stereo or stacker or even alarm is a painful issue, peugeot did not create this system to make life difficult for the owners they did however make it easy to install an approved system by a quick software download. The multiplex computer operates where all switches /stereo doors windows come in to the unit as an input and out as an output, keep that in mind next time you try to install something.

Take a stereo for example all power/speakers and switches are received by the computer and send out the corresponding command eg speakers for sound. If you take away the peugoet stereo you cut the link to the computer and the speakers thus no sound, the only way to fix that is to join to the speaker wires seperately, the future problems are the mulitplex system will receive a reverse current and eventually may cause issues-may cause.

Believe me peugeot should be commended for this system, as I have created modules that control lights, indicators, alarm, locking, wipers, etc and believe me it was a headache 1 for mounting and wiring and two for fault finding.

The bottom line is that you
-cannot turn economy mode off
-cannot replace your indicators with leds unless they contain resistors
-cannot just plug a new stereo in without a software upgrade
-cannot install a stacker without a software upgrade
-cannot install a peugeot genuine alarm without a software download

You Can however
-install an aftermarket alarm - only if it is a mutliplex upgrade system
-install an aftermarket stereo if you don't want to use the peugeot controls
but you may need to change the software if it is a post 2004 307-407-607 etc

Computer fault messages:
-Economy mode- battery saving will shut down all consumption items to allow you to at least start the car
-Oil low check oil, uneven road surface or your oil may be low
-STOP- engine failure call a tow truck!!
This is a reference only -please add for info as desired.

Don't cut the wires just make sure the connectors are not cheap chinese ones, the sound will be worse with those connectors, go for reputable audio conversion brands. Make sure their is only two wires on each speaker..

·
Registered
2 Posts
johnc said:
From my orignal post:

Peugeot Vehicle computer explanation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like many homes Cbus is a system that links, wiring, sound and communication systems in one. The Cbus system allows for only two wires + and - in the cars with the data or computer codes travelling on top of the copper wires, thus saving the excessive wires from conventional systems and saving costs to the owner and the manufacturer. The system can be upgraded and fixed and best of all there are no moving parts apart from the engine.

Also in many of the forums, owners adding a new stereo or stacker or even alarm is a painful issue, peugeot did not create this system to make life difficult for the owners they did however make it easy to install an approved system by a quick software download. The multiplex computer operates where all switches /stereo doors windows come in to the unit as an input and out as an output, keep that in mind next time you try to install something.

Take a stereo for example all power/speakers and switches are received by the computer and send out the corresponding command eg speakers for sound. If you take away the peugoet stereo you cut the link to the computer and the speakers thus no sound, the only way to fix that is to join to the speaker wires seperately, the future problems are the mulitplex system will receive a reverse current and eventually may cause issues-may cause.

Believe me peugeot should be commended for this system, as I have created modules that control lights, indicators, alarm, locking, wipers, etc and believe me it was a headache 1 for mounting and wiring and two for fault finding.

The bottom line is that you
-cannot turn economy mode off
-cannot replace your indicators with leds unless they contain resistors
-cannot just plug a new stereo in without a software upgrade
-cannot install a stacker without a software upgrade
-cannot install a peugeot genuine alarm without a software download

You Can however
-install an aftermarket alarm - only if it is a mutliplex upgrade system
-install an aftermarket stereo if you don't want to use the peugeot controls
but you may need to change the software if it is a post 2004 307-407-607 etc

Computer fault messages:
-Economy mode- battery saving will shut down all consumption items to allow you to at least start the car
-Oil low check oil, uneven road surface or your oil may be low
-STOP- engine failure call a tow truck!!
This is a reference only -please add for info as desired.

Don't cut the wires just make sure the connectors are not cheap chinese ones, the sound will be worse with those connectors, go for reputable audio conversion brands. Make sure their is only two wires on each speaker..

I love my 307 SW , but I wish I would read this before ... the ter Multiplex sounds really cool in marketing, but I am with a few thousand dollars of sound equipment that I cannot simply plug in ... it sounds ridiculous to me ...
but life is about learning and trade offs ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts