Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks for letting me join!

Hubby and I have a 307SW 1.6HDi 2008 that has done just over 90000 mls. It's a workhorse, it's tatty, bits don't work (air con, iffy electric windows etc), but it always starts and runs sweet as a nut, bless it. It does runs to work 5 days a week of about 6 miles each way, and let's just say he doesn't spare the horses.

Yesterday morning, about 5 miles into his morning commute, there was a bong and the dashboard chucked up the engine management light (no limp mode, no change in performance etc). He got to work and looked at the warning log which gave the "Depollution system faulty" and "Risk of particulate filter blocking" warnings. His colleague plugged in his iCarsoft and it gave an error of "P0420 - state permanent - Particle filter particulate emission filter overloaded".

I had a good search on this wonderful site and found many useful posts advising areas to look at. It's worth me adding at this point that the fuel consumption has remained constant over the years, emissions are always fine at MOT, and there's no obvious exhaust blow. Anyway, thankfully hubby is a very competent mechanic (works on train engines) so out came the ramps last night and underneath he went. He began by investigating the additive pouch that until yesterday we didn't even know existed. Now I'm no expert but I'd say it's not in the best of health 😄😄
Automotive lighting Bumper Gas Vehicle door Motor vehicle

Anyway, he popped the unit back into the car so he could start and move it to the side of the drive and add it to the queue of things needing fixing (we also have a Land Rover) and when he started it the dash lights went out and no warnings showed on the log.

So I guess what am I asking you clever people is:

1) Could it be that the warning came up purely due to age/mileage and the discovery of the empty additive pouch is a red herring and a completely separate issue? (No code found re low or no level of liquid)

2) Is it really worth spending £100 on a pouch, given the car has been running fine for quite some time without it? (car is probably only worth £500 max)

3) Could running like this for a while have knackered anything else that will soon pop up and bite us? (i.e. should I be downloading the Autotrader app in preparation for a shopping trip?)

4) As there are no running issues could the dpf still actually be ok? He's not wanting to spend out on getting it cleaned unless we have to as keeping it on the road is cheap motoring.

5) Is there anything else we should be looking at? I know people have suggested O2 sensors but again, no faults and running and emissions are fine.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - all responses gratefully received!

Clare

·
Registered
75 Posts
Particle Filter Overloaded means the DPF is full and not regenerating properly.

The fact theres a hole in the Eolys fluid bag, is a big concern as there should be fluid in there which is added to the fuel when topping up with diesel. If theres nothing in there, its not been dosing the fuel which helps with DPF regenerations at lower temperatures.

If the car runs and drives fine prior to this, i'd keep it, pop a new bag of Eolys in and get the counter reset (using PP2000), and get the DPF forcibly regenerated. Should hopefully be ok after this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts