Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Title,
Last week I hit a pothole at about 20mph, nearside. Around 2" deep at least. Loud clunk about 1 second later. Got home uneventfully, checked shockers by bouncing, all ok. Rang my usual local garage to get to inspect for damage. Nearest date available was 7 days away. Booked it in as car still drove and handled well, I wanted peace of mind. Since then, I have driven only about 12-14 miles, no problems. Today, after about 1 mile, 2 VERY loud clunks, so checked around myself when I got home. Front o/s spring really is broken!
So, I rang garage again, they said can repair, no problem. They are a local, non agency, privately owned garage that I trust.
What I am asking, is in such circumstances, do front springs REALLY need changing as a pair? I will have to pay!
Please also bear in mind, that despite this being a destructive, large pothole (I didn't see it as it was an unfamiliar road, with oncoming traffic, and it is LINCOLNSHIRE after all!) It is unlikely any claim against Lincolnshire Highways would succeed!
They SAY that they DO check for potholes every six months, despite the fact that on another local road one is nearly 2" deep after only 8 weeks. Yes, i do report them, but they are not really interested. Sometimes I have had emails that put down my complaints,eg "NOT dangerous, (YET!) but we will continue to monitor"! However, the damaging pothole was on a road I rarely use. Hence me hitting it!
Any advice on cost of parts and estimated replacement time would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Thanks Rob.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Ideally you should always replace springs in pairs. But in reality I have changed only the broken spring on many cars over the years with no discernable effect on handling or ride height or ride quality.

Roger.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi i am in lincolnshire and have assessed pot hole damage before for folks and told them how to force the council to pay up .

Make sure you get pic of pot hole with ruler to show how deep . check on website to see it it had been reported before lincolnshire do have that on their websit . get you quote from garage for replacing BOTH springs when you have all this sent it in to them you may have to wait for them but we have had a lot of good results with this cannot say anymore ok ! :nod:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts