Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a 2007 307SW (S) 1.6Hdi, I have a bit of annoying problem with it in that if I try to run the radio/CD or whatever without the engine running but with the key in the ignition - it shuts it all down after two or three minutes and goes into what the dash display calls Economy Mode. Very little that is electric then works.....

The only way to get the car out of that mode and have the radio etc work again is to start the engine .....

I like to have the car radio on when I am cleaning the car or whatever - but I don't particularly want to do so with the engine running.

So is there a way to prevent the car going into economy mode ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap, looks like I need to go buy PP then..... I sort of hoped I could wing it without, but everything on this bloody car seems to be computer controlled so if not for this one, I am gonna need for the next thing. :mad:

Thanks mate UR a star :thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
Depending on how loud you crank it, economy mode typically cracks in between 15 to 25 minutes arfter engine shut down. If it's activating so quickly it may be indicative of a dying car battery, or some other fault.

BTW, I'm assuming you keep your windows up so the interior doesn't get wet, so I'm curious as to how you hear it while cleaning the car? An ipod or even a good old fashioned tranny (radio, not a ladyboy, you pervs!) Is simply a lot less faffing around.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol - I was IN the car cleaning the dash/windows/seats etc with the CD player on :D

I had been sorting out a blown tail light bulb when it first started rearing it's head.

I had changed the blown bulb for a new one, put it all back together and the nearside tail light didn't work on either bulb..... after removing the tail light a couple of times and much swapping of new bulbs, I eventually sussed out that the system must have dropped power of to that light for some reason, possibly believing it to be a fault ?

After starting the car up, I had my power back to the tail light and successfully fitted two working bulbs.

Fook knows what goes on the Peugeot ECU's head :confused: :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Precious Peugeot & Citroen. It seems they figure they have got it right with their Economy Mode and every one else is stupid. Ay ya ya!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only car I ever had a problem with a flat battery on was a new MG ZR about 5 years back (just before MG went tits up). The problem with that was that I bought it but it was never really used, it stood on the drive for about 6/8 months with the alarm pulling the battery down and the battery passed away peacefully in it's sleep over winter ....so I bought another battery and sold the car rather than wait for the rest of the car to die.

I currently have 3 cars and a motorcycle. I still have no problems with flat batteries, not even on the bike which always stands in the garage over winter. I am more than capable of looking after the welfare of a battery. I really do not need a trick ECU to do that for for me.

If I were daft enough to run the battery flat by leaving a radio or sidelight on (some lengthy task on a 60ah+ battery) I would simply jump the car off from another one, use my battery booster or buy another battery, use it all as a learning exercise and not do it again.

I can understand Peugeot fitting safeguards, but make those safeguards better known, and where safety is not involved (as in this case) - include the facility to owner bypass them without a trip to a main dealer (assuming the main dealer can do the job unlike EZEE's) and get a 40 quid bill for a few seconds work ....

THAT's the frustrating part ...see ? :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I reason it'll be similar to jump starting a sports bike with a flat battery and care needs to be taken how connections are made/taken off.

Bike ECU's will fry easily as well if not done properly .... ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not familiar Planet Peugeot and I would appreciate if someone can give me a bit info on what it's capable of and where to get it? I am also very frustrated with the economy mode on both of my Peugeot Partner and 3008. I am almost regretting getting a Peugeot instead of a Ford or Nissan...Shutting down everything after a certain period drives me mad...IF I am working around the car and I WANT my radio / iPod On ! Not to mention I have to start the engine to close my windows when it goes in the Econ mode !

J

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Firstly, you can get Planet from here Lexia-3 Diagnostic Scanner Tool For Citroen and Peugeot - Automotive - Professional Diagnostic - Door2Door Shop

Secondly, I think you will find if you had a bought a Ford, the economy mode is still there... they will only let you have 1hr with the radio on. If the only thing that is making you regret buying a Peugeot is the economy mode, then personally you're on to a good thing!
Thanks for the link. Ok...may be "regret" was too strong of a word but like many people, I am also frustrated with "economy mode" and would like to have an option to disable it if I want to use my radio while the engine is off. I appreciate the Peugeot engineer who tried to prevent a dead battery but the owner should have an option to forego this feature (me thinks).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Renewed anger!!!

Hi halexakay.
You've got me started again, because I am probably the ANGRIEST Peugeot owner in relation to there STUPID "economy mode". I could spend HOURS telling you about my exchanges with Peugeot about their " wonderful " but misguided feature that only they and Citroen has. One hour would probably be acceptable. I considered "Planet Peugeot" but was told that they would void my warranty. Apart from anything else its a TOTALY IRRESPONSIBLE waste of fuel just to listen to a radio. ALL other manufacturers seem to have engineered a sensible and reasonable format. I requested for MONTHS that they please provide me with a figure of how much fuel I am polluting the atmosphere with during the ten minute engine idle. NO GO!! I threatened to picket their showroom to bring to other potential buyers attention, what 2 motoring writers here in Australia regarded as a " flaw". I was such a pain to them that they compensated me (reluctantly on my part), for a battery operated radio that I could use, but I still fume every time the EM kicks in and swore that I would also NEVER buy another Peugeot if they maintain this madness. I have owned over a dozen cars in my life time, NON of which has angered me so much.

J

·
0 Posts
I am truly amazed at the response to the Economy Mode.... I cannot believe someone would go to that much trouble all over the fact the car is trying to protect your battery..... truly amazes me that this is all you have to complain about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Secondly, I think you will find if you had a bought a Ford, the economy mode is still there... they will only let you have 1hr with the radio on. If the only thing that is making you regret buying a Peugeot is the economy mode, then personally you're on to a good thing!
sure is...and as you said 1hr... well its a radio thing. the radio shuts down itself in 1hr. i upgraded mine to one of those DVD sat nav radio things but never had the balls to go for it nor the time...:thumb:

bit of a wasted subject in my opinion but everyone to their own i suppose:nod:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Even MORE amazed !!

Dear jmkent. Are you serious? Its the 21st century and every industry is searching for ways to reduce the amount of pollution emitted into the atmosphere, yet the engineering geniuses at Peugeot consider burning fuel to power the MINISCULE power drain from a radio ( I ran some tests ) as a fantastic step forward. So I would assume that you consider that nearly all the other car manufacturers have got it wrong and are irresponsible if they don't follow Peugeots pioneering lead. I can guarantee that Peugeot with all their innovative mite, will eventualy find a way to overcome this "flaw", because compared to engineering a motor that stops running when the car comes to a stop and then restarts when it moves off TO CONSERVE FUEL, this would be as simple as reinventing the wheel. One hour would be more reasonable and let me worry about my battery. Please Peugeot get into the 21st century and do it sooner than latter, for our earths sake. On a positive side, my 3008 is now 16 months old and along with my previous Lexus RX 330, its been trouble free. Now, when Peugeot finds a way for me and others to have the luxury of listening to the radio without having to pollute the atmosphere, I would buy another one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts