Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Had my 307sw serviced today, and it is the first time I've had professional eyes across the vehicle...

I've had a little bit of clutch shudder with the car since I bought it - it's worse when its cold and isn't unbearable.

I asked the mechanic to have a look at it and let me know what he thinks. His words were "it's not too bad", but I haven't a clue what that actually means, or what he might have looked it, if anything.

The clutch also seems to be getting better the longer I drive it - I bought the car in London, and since I've had it out of the city I wonder if the style of driving is actually taking some uneven wear out of the clutch and flywheel.

I've also been digging around the forum regard the clutch kit, and have read that the 2.0L diesel (90hp) engine has a single mass flywheel. Is this true for all the 90hp engines?

So, with all that in mind, is the judder likely to be the clutch kit itself, or do you still think it likely that something external is causing the judder (engine mount or oil leak etc)? With the single mass flywheel, is it unlikely that I would need to change that if I got the clutch done?
And, roughly what should I expect to pay for someone to change the clutch for me?

Thanks very much guys!

·
11,873 Posts
I've also been digging around the forum regard the clutch kit, and have read that the 2.0L diesel (90hp) engine has a single mass flywheel. Is this true for all the 90hp engines?

So, with all that in mind, is the judder likely to be the clutch kit itself, or do you still think it likely that something external is causing the judder (engine mount or oil leak etc)?
Yes, single mass (or solid flywheel) in 90bhp engines.

The judder could be three things:

1) Badly fitted clutch.

2) Poor quality clutch. Valeo are generally regarded the best for judder-free.

3) Engine mounts. I had a judder which went when I swapped all three engine mounts - the bottom one for a Powerflex.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, single mass (or solid flywheel) in 90bhp engines.

The judder could be three things:

1) Badly fitted clutch.

2) Poor quality clutch. Valeo are generally regarded the best for judder-free.

3) Engine mounts. I had a judder which went when I swapped all three engine mounts - the bottom one for a Powerflex.
Thanks Gibbo.
Would you add worn clutch to the list?
And, if I can live with it, do I need to do anything about it, or is there other damage happening?

·
11,873 Posts
Thanks Gibbo.
Would you add worn clutch to the list?
And, if I can live with it, do I need to do anything about it, or is there other damage happening?
From personal experience, no. All I've had is high revs as the clutch slips. Maybe a slight clunk as the clutch goes down, which is the thrust release bearing.

So long as the judder isn't too violent and causing wear on the engine mounts, it could be worth seeing if it beds in.

But check those three mounts, that costs nothing but time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From personal experience, no. All I've had is high revs as the clutch slips. Maybe a slight clunk as the clutch goes down, which is the thrust release bearing.

So long as the judder isn't too violent and causing wear on the engine mounts, it could be worth seeing if it beds in.

But check those three mounts, that costs nothing but time.
Thanks mate - that is extremely reassuring!
Like I said, it's actually getting better the more I drive it, so it could be that the clutch that was put in was not the greatest quality, and this is why the last owner sold it.

I'll check out the mounts just to be sure, and keep an eye on them!

Really appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Judder

I am getting a judder at startup and a thud sound every now and again juddery gear changes .. on Inspection the R H Engine mount rubber is badly split :eek: So phoned dealers £93 for the Mounting

this may point you in the right direction to the cause of your Judder

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting a judder at startup and a thud sound every now and again juddery gear changes .. on Inspection the R H Engine mount rubber is badly split :eek: So phoned dealers £93 for the Mounting

this may point you in the right direction to the cause of your Judder
Thanks Jagn - I'll get onto looking at those mounts :thumb:

·
11,873 Posts
I got a genuine Febi one from a Ebay parts business in Germany. I think it was £63 in total.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I got a genuine Febi one from a Ebay parts business in Germany. I think it was £63 in total.
delivery time .. got a Gatwick trip coming up so May have to just pay a fortune out cannot keep driving it like this (although keeping driving to a minimum ) It will just Knock out other mountings

Just an Update Have sourced a Genuine replacement from a Dealer £40 including Courier delivery (dealer has stopped doing business with Pugs ) Result

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From personal experience, a judder could be a dodgy flywheel (this has recently happened to me, resulting in the car being beyond economical repair), ageing driveshaft has also been postulated, as well as a thrust bearing.
Is that the 110bhp 2.0L diesel engine?
If so, that engine has a Dual Mass Fly wheel, which is more prone to failure.
Gibbo just confirmed that the 90bhp has a solid single piece fly wheel.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Is that the 110bhp 2.0L diesel engine?
If so, that engine has a Dual Mass Fly wheel, which is more prone to failure.
Gibbo just confirmed that the 90bhp has a solid single piece fly wheel.
I just had a chap check mine he said much to much movement on the engine Mount and we could hear a Slight thud when pushing engine back , So hopefully now I have sourced the Part All will be well

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Normally it is a DMF, but mine had the solid conversion done at some point in the past.

I reckon the extra torque has been too much for the solid flywheel, which is why DMF's are fitted in the first place.......

In reference to yours, they can still fail, for example if there has been poor workmanship when fitting clutches etc., which I think Gibbo mentioned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Normally it is a DMF, but mine had the solid conversion done at some point in the past.

I reckon the extra torque has been too much for the solid flywheel, which is why DMF's are fitted in the first place.......

In reference to yours, they can still fail, for example if there has been poor workmanship when fitting clutches etc., which I think Gibbo mentioned.
Hmmm....

More food for thought - thanks Jimmy

I'll start with checking the engine mounts, see if mine continues to bed in, and if it gets worse get someone to pull it apart with a view of fitting a valeo.

Thanks everyone :thumb:

·
11,873 Posts
If you're near Chester at all I can highly recommend a 306 expert who guarantees no judder on a LUK clutch fitted to any Peugeot, but he will fit a Valeo if required. Price around £300.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Not the 90 bhp engines, they all had solid flywheels from the factory.
I think DMF are to compensate for poor driving skills.
Solid flywheels CAN fail, as can any man made article, mostly distortion and cracking due to excessive clutch slip. But I wouldn't worry about yours.

Roger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts