Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking into buying a 307cc and have a few to choose from.

Most of them are petrol engines but a couple are diesel. Is there any difference in terms of reliability? I'm considering the 2.0 16v or the 2.0 HDi, around 2007-2008 models.

I know that modern diesels are not so good just for local running about but I do occasionally do some mileage.

Some pointers what to look out for would be appreciated. I haven't owned a peugeot since 2002.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Scrfta, I've had both the 2.0 petrol then part-exchanged it for the 2.0 HDI.
In my opinion the petrol is thirsty and doesn't feel that quick, higher tax but is lower insurance group. The diesel is much quicker lower tax but group 23 (I think) on insurance.

Reliability wise the petrol was simple and I had no issues with it (gear box was on its way out on mine though), the diesel is much more complicated I've had delayed throttle response issues, delayed/non-existent boots issues and lumpy acceleration between 2000 and 3000 rpm but I sorted all these out myself (no labour costs) and I would still recommend the diesel over the petrol just don't pay £800 for one like I did 😂 I now have to replace the DMF which is going to cost as I don't have a garage to do it myself!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the reply.

Still a bit unsure based on what you said. The insurance difference is negligible (£5 a year). The running costs may be a deciding factor though but I don't do excessive mileage anymore. The lower cost of petrol may even offset some of that.

I'll go take a couple of test drives in both and see what I think. I've been driving diesels for about 15 years now but heard some horror stories about modern diesels. My last car was 25 years old before it blew up on me!:LOL:

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
I have had all 3 engines and there is not much difference in real terms as the car is very heavy and this is what affects the fuel consumption IF your going petrol get the 1.6 its small and a bit underpowered but it is more fuel efficient than the 2 litre which in all honesty is the worst engine of the 3

Diesel will be the 16 valve version with DPF and is a complicated engine to keep good you need to be mechanically minded to keep it right or it can be very expensive DPFs tend to need fluid replaced and the ecu expects to see a new one at 100k miles and most you will be looking at wont have reached that yet so you will have that expense to deal with they also have dual mass flywheels that can be troublesome too.

Petrols have none of these issues try a 1.6 before you decide even if its just a 1.6 sw or similar just to get a feel for it its my all time favourite peugeot engine as its so reliable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts