Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
Any advice or knowledge will be greatly appreciated. I have a 2004 307cc 2.0 16v petrol. Had loads of trouble but now the persistent problem now seems to be:
On start up the car displays catalytic converter fault and antipolution. Took it to a garage for diagnostics and the only codes showing are p0300 and p1336.

Done some research on what it could potentially be but wondering what steps I should take first rather than running out and buying new crankshaft position sensor or coilpacks.

I'm a sparky by trade not a mechanic so a bit out of my depth. I've checked nearby for anyone with planet and closest is Birmingham and this 307cc isn't going anywhere haha! so going it alone and could do with Any advice going. Cheers lads .

P.s due to corona and my disability I've got plenty of time so I'll be checking this forum frequently ?

·
12,249 Posts
A faulty cat won't process the exhaust gases properly and cause problems upstream.

Surely the garage has looked at the cat and verified its age to see if its end of life?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they haven't. Lambda sensors are working properly, cars only done 70k. I had a retired mechanic come and have a look today he thinks the timing might be out due to the last owner doing their own cam belt. Checked with his obd and it kept pointing to crankshaft position sensor- its "told" us the cause and said something about tfk valve something (could be another acronym cant remember)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally was abs and esp/asr not functioning and going all juddery and losing power as if it was going into limp mode . It had this problem when I brought it.

Replaced brake switch, that fixed abs. Occasionally esp/asr comes up but have been told not to worry and they do this.

On start up sometimes it flashes up antipolution then catalytic converter fault. Sometimes It waits until i hit about 30mph.

Engine light flashes then stays on. Sometimes turning off and on clears this or the MIL light stays on.

All my research and plugging In was directing me to crank position sensor, replace this this morning and cleared fault codes but no joy still p0300 and p1336.

Had a "friend" mechanic come and look and he said he could hear a little knocking noise near the cam pulleys. I proceeded to tell him that the cam belt was changed by previous owner . He replied hed be worried that the timing is off and that its caused damage to the valves . On his plug in machine it said (p1336/ crankshaft position sensor- cause: something about the valves)

Another member instructed me to check spark plugs, and check timing is 100% if possible then start looking at cam and crank sensors.

Have attempted to test lambda sensors , heating circuits fine and sensing voltage however a little low which caused me to think the car is/was running lean. I have read other sites mentioning intake manifold near the wheel arch can cause these kinds of problems with misfiring??
I do hear some noise near wheel arch on the drivers side sometimes.

About ready to give up and scrap the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna have to get googling. Haven't got a clue how to do it. Guy at the garage said he could "possibly" do it for 62 + vat .

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Unless the engine is different the Haynes manual number 4147 details how the check the timing. There are holes drilled in the crankshaft sprocket end plate and the two camshafts sprockets. These should all line up with the corresponding holes in the cylinder head and oil pump housing. The crankshaft pulley and the timing belt upper and lower covers need removing. Then using a socket on the crankshaft sprocket centre bolt turn the engine clockwise until the holes line up. Basically concentrate on the crankshaft and align it with the hole in the oil housing. A 8mm drill shank will do as a tool to confirm. Then check the cams. If they are lined up their pins will line up with holes in the head at 5 o clock for the inlet and 7 o clock for the exhaust when viewed from the right hand end of the engine. A small mirror will help to accurately observe the position. Be aware that all these will all only line up once but the crankshaft one alone will line up twice. That means that if you first align the crankshaft and the cams are not lined up rotate the crankshaft once more and they will then line up. If the 8mm does not fit then try a 5/16 drill which is a smidgen smaller. Of course if they don't line up at all then it means they are out of kilter. Tensioners and/or belt would be the cause and if it has happened just hope it has not damaged the valves.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your detailed response buddy I appreciate it. Gonna get the Haynes manual. A question though, if it was the timing, surely it will be misfiring constantly?? Most of the time on start up it runs sweet, until you try and move it ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked my battery voltage as read this can obviously have and impact on misfiring. 12.06 then scraped the terminals for a good connection, the voltage read 12.12 before start up. I did struggle to charge it with a 4ah battery charger initially. Gonna go ahead and have s look at the timing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imma be honest, not 100% sure what I'm doing here, took some pictures, trying to follow haynes manual but I think his engine is slightly different

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The Haynes only mentions the front hole for the crank shaft but you need to use the one that locks the flywheel at the rear of the block like reliable406 mentioned!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I cant see any post from reliable406.
I found this guide from puglug Peugeot 307 2.0l petrol timing belt replacement guide

According to this Flywheel locking point not important as it messes up the cam locking points.

Same as mine but it seems cam 1 is at 7 at cam2 should be at 5 o'clock .

My pully on the crank is different. No holes to lock off to check the timing. I don't have 3 bolts only the 22mm centre bolt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gonna have to remove the pully attached to crank to expose the locking point of the crank. Hopefully all matches up.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Sorry I got mixed up with another member having problems with the same engine. . Just use search community box for the "rfn timing" and you will see reliable406 entry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the message I've sent to reliable after getting this far. Hoping you guys can help me some more:

Good afternoon reliable,
I've had a few problems with this car and everyone has recommended checking the timing is 100%.

I've been following your guide for days, but seems my situation may differ very slightly so now I'm confused.

All I want to do is check that everything lines up the way it should.
I could check that the cams line up with the holes in the engine block 5 o'clock for exhaust cam2 and 7 o'clock for cam2 .

However the crankshaft is a smooth pulley with just the centre 22mm bolt because of the floating crank. (Just to let you know I know nothing about cars I'm a sparky at best)

I've managed to lock the flywheel to loosen the 22mm bolt to get the lower pully of to have a look but obviously there Is no locking point on the crank, just a notch at about 8o'clock where the pully slides onto.

Have I gone too far? From this is the engine correctly lined up? I will send some pictures.

Any advice or wisdom will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you and have a good day
Alex

1 - 20 of 33 Posts