Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Peugeotforums, I'm new here and could please use some friendly help. Just bought a 307cc 2,0 petrol 140 from 2006 of a colleague at work. I have known him for 20 years and appearently that fooled me not to do a good check of the car. Stupid, I know!

First thing coming home the left rear light didn't work. I plugged in obd reader but only finding fuel trim fault p0170. Found a broken cable and fixed the light but the p0170 error confused me.

After two days the MIL came on and OBD showed p0170 once more. Decided to investigate further and while doing some live sensor reading the "dreaded" depollution fault came up.
Reading the sensors both STFT and LTFT are negative at first but after a while when engine is hot LTFT lands at about -5-7% and STFT around 0. Front O2-sensor goes nice up and down 0,2-0,8V but second have a more bumpy curve first dancing from 0,05-1,2V then when warm idleing around 0,5-0,8V.

Finally getting under the car I found some really sad stuff. Timing belt that was supposed to have been changed not that way back, looked horrible and there was a small coolant leak right rear side of engine, dripping from the drive shaft, could this be the water pump or rear of head gasket? See attached image!

Finally quite a substantial oil leak from what it looks like in between engine and gearbox.

Engine oil seems ok, perhaps little smell of exhaust/petrol but nice and clear. Coolant almost at max level but that will for sure change since it's dripping.

Now I don't know what to do, timing belt and head gasket is over my capacity and can't spend 800 € on timing belt just to still have depollution fault/p0170 and perhaps a broken head gasket. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Take it back to him! If not an option then perhaps try and find a honest independent garage and see what he thinks. Any advice from them will help you to decide what to do. The oil and water problems could mean a expensive fix!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, would love to but I don't think he would accept it. I am now looking for a mechanic that could do some work afterhours because I have rralized it's just too much for me to handle.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Unfortunately temporary fixers can get bored/sick when the going gets tough and might leave you with a half fixed car in bits!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got a point, perhaps better to try on my own. I believe I can handle the timing belt and waterpump, reading Haynes now and looks rather basic? Tougher with the oil leak and the p0170 /depollution fault. For the later, could it be best to take it to a local Peugeot garage?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I think you are confusing drive belt with timing belt you CANNOT see the timing belt especially from underneath !

Timing belt is not easy on this engine due to floating crank water leak could be water pump but could also be the rear water housing common to crack on this engine oil leaks are standard once they get older just a case of finding its source as many possibilities most are easy to fix

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your feedback. Probably shouldn't touch the timing belt then.

I removed the cover and the timing belt was dry and also the drive belt was really bad. Carefully looking into the servicebook seems like 55000 miles and 6 years since the last change.

Regarding waterpump housing, is there any special needs accept replacing if cracked?

Do you have any ideas about the p0170/depollution failure?

Once more thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, of course. Thats how I found this forum.

I have an idea of changing motoroil to see if that could help since petrol dilluted oil could cause the error code. The oil looks good but it's really easy to do.

Also oilcontamination on the o2 sensor could cause missreadings and since it has a oil leak that was also checked.

Since the sensors and fuel trim shows a rich condition I think that checking MAF and airleaks is not necessary? It rather indicates a stuck injector or bad cat if not a sensor fault. What do you think any other ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, of course. Thats how I found this forum.

I have an idea of changing motoroil to see if that could help since petrol dilluted oil could cause the error code. The oil looks good but it's really easy to do.

Also oilcontamination on the o2 sensor could cause missreadings and since it has a oil leak that was also checked.

Since the sensors and fuel trim shows a rich condition I think that checking MAF and airleaks is not necessary? It rather indicates a stuck injector or bad cat if not a sensor fault. What do you think any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Your latest post has been recorded twice! Smell the oil on the dipstick to see if there is fuel in the oil. Seems like you have a good handle on your problem. I would not discount anything though so although the MAF and pipework seems innocent I would still consider it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for doubleposting! Yes the oil looks good but smell some petrol, I have now changed it however. Could the cause be lots of short distances or do you have another idea? The car hasn't been used that much for about a year.

1 - 14 of 13 Posts