Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've got the dreaded "misting up" inside my nearside headlight. I know a lot of threads/people have opted to replace the complete unit which I'll do as a last resort but would rather keep as its in good nick and all working.
Has anyone tried silica bags inside the rubber bungs as a means to keep the moisture at bay.
The light looks ok and no obvious cracks or splits and the bungs are a good fit ,so assuming its the seal that's failing.
If the silica bags fail was thinking of running a clear silicone bead along the top of the light.
Any thoughts chaps !!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep its the facelift model. No change from £100 per light so id rather not blow 200 just for a cosmetic issue.
Tonight have completely dried out the light using main beam and towel. Checked all over and looks good. Replaced dust caps and went out 2 hrs later....... fogged up again.
How can i tell the diff between a blocked vent and a leaking seal

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
As it heats up when on, the air within expands. A completely sealed unit would have to withstand that pressure. Your lights are (I think) not completely sealed, and can allow the expanding air to escape. Then, when switched off, the air inside will contract and draw in ambient air. If the outside air is moist, the moisture will be drawn in, and when the light cools further will condense on the cold surfaces.

It strikes me that the best way to use a dessicant would be to install a pipe with a desiccant filter to each lamp, to offer the moving air a low impedance path, so that it will take that route rather than the small leaks you currently have. The theory is that the warm air outflowing will regenerate the filter, and it will then dry the cold incoming air when the lamp cools. If you could arrange the pipe ends to be close to the radiator, such that comparatively warm air was drawn in, that would be even better. Come to think of it, you might not even need the desiccant!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ian for that. I'm up for anything rather than start mauling the bumper off to get at them. I will fashion a pipe to each rubber bung feeding warm air from the radiator/engine and see how it goes.
If no joy and i have to remove the lamps Is it possible to take the projector light apart , clean and re-seal ?
They look like they might come apart

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know whether they can be dismantled.

Good luck with the "heat pipe". If it works, please let us know :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
If no joy and i have to remove the lamps Is it possible to take the projector light apart , clean and re-seal ?
They look like they might come apart
Haven't looked at Peugeot projector lights, but usually the black rear part and the clear front are held together with an adhesive that softens with heat + possible a few metal clips that can be pried off.

Heating the units - typically oven at 80-90C for 10-15 minutes or patient application of decent power hair dryer or CAREFUL application of a hot air gun.
Then pull (gloves!) and or pry (preferably with plastic tools.)

For reassembly, depending on exactly how the adhesive separates, you might be able to heat the halves and stick them together (been there done that) but I'd then run an external bead of silicone over the seam.
If not, and given you've got a questionable seal to start with, this is the way I'd go - clean it all off and apply new all around + external bead. There are youtube videos on the subject, maybe not your exact model, but most lights are similar enough.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the advise and thoughts. Tried a little experiment last night on way home from work. Before starting for home popped the hood and took off the smaller of the two rubber dust caps and left off all night.
Checking every few hrs and no fogging at all. Went out this morning and 99% clear except for a small patch in the far corner by the indicator which cleared by the time i was at work.

Seems i maybe have a venting issue ???

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It seems that there is so much warm air under the bonnet when you have stopped and the lamp cools that it is doing the trick without the pipe!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update . No fogging at all and that's night/day cold wet and dry weather. Fingers crossed it seems to have cured my fogging issue although leaving the dust cap off perm might give issues down the line.

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Drill a few small holes in the cap and refit it it will probably be fine then just needs to breath better just like leaving windows down slightly to avoid dampness in the interior

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea, wasn't too happy about leaving the back of the light open to the elements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts