Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an automatic 2.0 petrol 307cc for my dad. The car drives OK until you hit traffic and then after 20mins of traffic you can see it starts to overheat (on dash) and strugles to select first gear... I believe it is related to low/bad transmission fluid. I want to change the fluid but can not find level plug. Unfortunatly mine is not the one with a level/drain plug combined and I only can see a square drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox. Is there any way identifying gearbox code so I can google for level plug or maybe someone has experience with this?

D

·
0 Posts
The described way of draining and refilling the box to the correct level is not always as simple as that. He describes removing a torx stud from the middle of another stud. They have changed that ages ago to just the outer stud which makes it hard to know what level the box is at.
These boxes are not sealed for life boxes otherwise there would be no drain plug or filler plug. Which there are both of on this box. Most auto boxes have some sort of facility to drain and refill their oil.
The long and short of it is people who own cars with auto boxes couldn't be bothered changing the oil in them.
Also there are muppet mechanics who haven't braincell between their ears who haven't a clue how to actually carry out the procedure coreectly let alone even recommend it done.

These boxes need oil changes every 40kmls/60kms religiously as they will break you if not minded.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Peugeot Australia informed me when I asked about the changing of the ATF for the AM6 auto that they were filled for life.
Here is the Peugeot 2010 Service Box work shop manual way of changing the ATF.
I say if you can be sure that your auto has the right level and never leaked out any atf then what you take out must go back in, and this means with flushing as well as I did. And if you wish to double check the level remove the centre plug from the main drain plug and check for the "drip drip" to mean it's correct.

Cheers George

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
Recently bought an automatic 2.0 petrol 307cc for my dad. The car drives OK until you hit traffic and then after 20mins of traffic you can see it starts to overheat (on dash) and strugles to select first gear... I believe it is related to low/bad transmission fluid. I want to change the fluid but can not find level plug. Unfortunatly mine is not the one with a level/drain plug combined and I only can see a square drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox. Is there any way identifying gearbox code so I can google for level plug or maybe someone has experience with this?
Just a question, Im wondering what gearbox is in this car as above describes the AM6 box. I'm pretty sure that your car has the AL4 box. Will have to look it up to be sure.

D

·
0 Posts
The 307 2.0 petrol can have either the AL4 or the AM6 gearbox. So basically we need clarification of which it is before going through the fluid change procedures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 307 2.0 petrol can have either the AL4 or the AM6 gearbox. So basically we need clarification of which it is before going through the fluid change procedures.

It is AL4 gearbox and looks like its a slightly later model... I spent a few day on google and forums before I found how to :) Haven't tried yet as only back from "weekend" break :). Will post howto below in case someone will need this in future. Still can't work out why would gearbox overheat in traffic and start to slip in gears? I know from experiance that when automatic oil is old it looses most of it specifications but I can't believe it will have such effect on temperature?

Here is the way to do it (I hope):

"Thanks for all the help.
Con your files were a great deal of help as I was able to determine that my box was differant and I was not going mad! Correct info from A&B Transmission , over the phone very helpfull
The later AL4's are a little bit differant to the early ones.
They no longer have the small level check plug in the centre of the 27mm drain plug.
There is now only a normal sized level check plug , that when removed will allow excess oil to drain , if you wish to drain the whole gearbox you must insert a 8mm Allen key up the plug and unscrew and remove a plastic tube which will then allow the oil to drain.
This is not a plesant job as you have hot auto oil dripping on your hand while unscrewing the plastic tube. Another step forward in car design!
The car now has smother gear changes , so well worth the effort and cost. "

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same frustrating issue here

Hi guys

I am having the same problem with my auto 307cc. After being stuck in traffic for sometime, when stopped even though in D, it releases the gear. Once revving up the transmission suddenly kicks to first gear and jumps :(

My mechanic says the fluid level is fine, but wondering if draining and changing it could fixes this :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can the cooler be upgraded?

Hi, I have a similar problem. 307 XSE 2.0 petrol, AL4 transmission. It has gear shift problems when hot. Usually after you stop, it can't find first and then does so with quite a bang.

This is an ongoing problem. It gets slightly better after a transmission fluid change, but then comes back again. I've adapted to it and can usually predict it, but nobody else will drive the car and my mechanic said it was undrivable.

It appears to be due to insufficient cooling. Can the oil cooler be upgraded without adding another separate cooler? (which is what my mechanic wants to do).

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Before changing or adding oil cooler(s), are you sure the coolant for the cooler is circulating correctly? I'm thinking airlock or blockage.

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Separate cooler is the best thing you can do with these boxes as the cooler they use is transferring heat from hot oil into hot water not ideal !

Your problem is with the valve body now though as its not working properly due to heat/contamination so although the cooler will keep it cool it will missbehave unless valves are sorted out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for both those bits of advice.
I'll get my mechanic to check whether the cooler is working properly first.
I was then thinking to add cooling to see if that fixes the overheating and if so to then to do a flush and change the transmission fluid, which is likely to have been cooked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts