Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well took car in for MOT and has failed on quite a few things.

To get it thru they priced up work inc parts and VAT £605

Work required :

2 x Rear Calipers
2 x Hand Brake cables
Front Exhaust with CAT
Drop Links

I priced the parts up for around £200

Think I can do the basics like calipers and handbrake cables and even drop links if dont require grinding nuts off, but dont think I could do front exhaust

Not particularly happy since I only purchased 4 months ago from a dealer, so far I have had to replace 2 rear tires, window regulator, rear light cluster.

Dealer replaced clutch within first 30 days.

Have emailed them but not expecting much any ideas where I stand with this.

·
2,982 Posts
Hi...i'm suprised the car didnt have a full mot when you bought it..and you bought it with a short M.O.T.?...with hindsight perhaps not the best decision.....I think there is a 90 day warranty but perhaps thats expired...but you are doing the right thing by repairing it yourself...also a second opinion may help...and why do they need to replace the parts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi...i'm suprised the car didnt have a full mot when you bought it..and you bought it with a short M.O.T.?...with hindsight perhaps not the best decision.....I think there is a 90 day warranty but perhaps thats expired...but you are doing the right thing by repairing it yourself...also a second opinion may help...and why do they need to replace the parts?
They don't need to replace parts just quoted for all work required

Never bought from dealers before always private, but did not expect this
bit more breakdown of MOT

DO NOT DRIVE UNTIL REPAIRED
Parking brake efficiency less than 50%

REPAIR IMMEDIATELY (MAJOR)
Exhaust has major leak (front pipe/cat corroded and blowing)
Emissions not tested
Brake lever has insufficient reverse travel
Side repeater incorrect colour nearside (bulb)
Anti Roll bar joint excessively worn offside front lower
Brake cable damaged Offside rear (cable fraying)
Brake Cable damaged Nearside Rear (cable broken/snapped)
Service brake excessively binding nearside rear

ADVISORIES
Front offside tyre worn on edge
Suspension arm pin or bush worn both sides

PARTS I PRICED
Exhaust front pipe + Cat £100
Drop Links x2 £20
Brake Calipers x2 £60 (could get repair kit, but don't really have time to start stripping and rebuilding them)
Brake Cables x2 £25

I recon I can do most just not sure I can replace exhaust parts

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Could also be the rotten cables making the calipers not work i would replace the cables ONLY to start with the rest of it is just wear and tear items to be fair drop links are practically a throw away part nowadays with all the potholes and speedhumps on our roads.

Exhaust may just be dodgy clamps depends where its blowing doing the clutch may have contributed to it getting loose.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
You not realised how crap the handbrake is and only holds on one side lol

Drop links are easy enough but make sure you have a grinder if there seized they will never fit in the hole properly when new so you sort of have to force them straight or you might strip the threads

Handbrake cables are ok if you can get the car in the air enough and just adjust them up afterwards

I wouldn’t replace the calipers until the cables are done personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really only have fri and sat to work on it

Well started work so far done nearside drop link, had to grind bottom nut off, checked offside but looks like been done recently, why not done pair i dont know.

Fitted handbrake cables, and now taken rear caliper off, seems brake pads are sticking, could do with getting carrier off and give good clean with wire brush.

Anyone know the size of torx required to remove carriers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cat replacement

2005 - pre-facelift

Has anyone got a guide on how to replace this on pre-facelift model, I cant see how you get to the front pipe clamp, only guide on you tube I can find is for 307 model which is completely different underneath.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could not get the rear brake carriers of, ended up twisting my new TORX socket, cleaned in place got brake pads freed up.

Mate managed to get exhaust cat replaced today, massive PITA job, on the original the sensors holes where drilled into pipe, with replacement the mounting holes are welded on which adds an extract 1/2 inch, very tight fit underneath now.

New clamp for front pipe which came with exhaust the bolt just bent when tightened up, thankfully the original clamp was usable, and noticed bolt on that a lot thicker, much higher quality, possible original as the cat doses not look to have been changes just some half bodged welding repair job near middle section.

Car had not been started for 2 weeks, when I got it to start before cat replacement got engine error - anti pollution fault (first time seen error and been blowing for a while), after replacing cat error gone.

Just got to get it in for new MOT fingers crossed, last time emissions not tested due to cat/blow.

Wish me luck.

Will keep informed.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well started work so far done nearside drop link, had to grind bottom nut off, checked offside but looks like been done recently, why not done pair i dont know.
Why replace something that is working just because the same part fitted elsewhere has failed?.
To answer my own question, if it is in the interests of safety, such as brake pads or shoes, or it is a major job to get to, such as a clutch, but drop links are quick and easy to replace. Would you replace both headlamp bulbs if one failed?.

Roger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice Job

Nice to see your having a go at the jobs that need doing. Next time you buy a car look at the Mot online easy to do. Never buy a car with short mot it just a partX or someone getting rid of always ask to to have a new mot before you buy from dealers. Don't think it is the end just because you have the mot there are always other things to check. Just like i have done this weekend on my car Timing belt 2.0L Twin cam Peugeot 307 SW not even in the repair manual
just a guide. Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well car passed MOT, with a bunch of different advisories , different garage.

Exhaust has slight leak could not quite get it tight enough will have another go now have more time, and will tackle some of the other upcoming issues, timing belt being one of them.

Done avg of 8,000 mile between MOTS in last 3 years

last MOT was at 77,597
This MOT - 83,500

Did check MOT history online, none of work required had come up as advisory

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You could go to 10 different mot garages and every one would give you a different list some would fail some would pass.

You think they are all the same but in reality some are much stricter than others.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You could go to 10 different mot garages and every one would give you a different list some would fail some would pass.

You think they are all the same but in reality some are much stricter than others.
Be nice to have a list of the ones that aren't so strict :lol:

·
6,256 Posts
I use one of the strictest test centres in the area because the MOT test requirements are not that high and really should only be classed as the minimum standard and if me or my family are using it I want to be confident it's safe.

Because they do no repairs I know they are not touting for work and will give an honest test and advisories etc are genuine

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts