Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Great forum with loads of info.
I've just bought a 307 xsi hdi 54 plate with 92k and fsh. The car is fine and drive smooth with no warning lights/ issues etc.

The only problem is that when starting the car in the morning I have to keep the key turned for roughly 10 seconds while gently giving a bit of gas. The engine sounds as if its starting one cylinder at a time missfiring and shaking the whole car badly and blows out loads of white/grey smoke and smells badly of diesel.

Once I know it's started and seems like it won't cut out it will tick over fine with little or no smoke but for the first few minutes if I touch the accelerator it still seems as if its misfiring and blows out loads of smoke. I usually leave it standing a few minutes before pulling off and then everything is fine, no smoke/missfiring etc, the only thing is the turbo sounds like a police siren but it pulls well and smooth. Then this morning when it happend I seen anti pollution fault pop up. Once the car is warm it will start first time every time it just seems to be after being left overnight.

I've done a search on here but can't seem to find posts with the same combined issues, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Don't tweak the throttle when starting - its a fly by wire pedal - you will confuse the ecu. I admitted to doing this once on the forum and received a right old 'telling off' :eek:.

Try this - clutch in - turn on ignition - wait for glow plug light to go out - turn off ignition - turn on ignition - wait for glow plug lights to go out and then start.

Anti pollution fault on mine comes up sometimes - if it does turn off the engine - wait a moment and then restart.

What engine is it? power wise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's th 136bhp model. My mate used to work for peugeot and he's bringing the diagnostics home to try, but I will try that aswell thanks. I just hope it's cooled down enough for him to see the trouble it's having because its runs mint otherwise.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any ideas, i changed the fuel, oil and air filter on the weekend and theres no different. if anything theres a inconsistent missfire (doesnt happen all the time) when driving at a constant speed. would it be worth getting injector cleaning additive or something similar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a bit of an update:

ive had the injectors tested and they were all good. ive replaced fuel leak off pipes off the injectors as one of them was leaking slightly and ive had the car plugged in to my mates computer and it was showing egr valve. he initially said it could be sticking but after doing some more digging he seems to think the head gasket has gone and theres water getting into the cylinder.
theres no oil in the water and theres nothing on the dipstick or oil filler cap to suggest this.

how much would i be looking for a head gasket, peugeot said between £600-£800?

also i still have the starting trouble but sometimes it smokes on startup and sometimes it doesnt, but it seems better than when i first had it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
a bit of an update:

ive had the injectors tested and they were all good. ive replaced fuel leak off pipes off the injectors as one of them was leaking slightly and ive had the car plugged in to my mates computer and it was showing egr valve. he initially said it could be sticking but after doing some more digging he seems to think the head gasket has gone and theres water getting into the cylinder.
theres no oil in the water and theres nothing on the dipstick or oil filler cap to suggest this.

how much would i be looking for a head gasket, peugeot said between £600-£800?

also i still have the starting trouble but sometimes it smokes on startup and sometimes it doesnt, but it seems better than when i first had it.
Your in South Wales yeah ?? If so I can get you a price on the job tomorrow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts