Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not been on here for a while, since i got rid of my 406. However the mrs has had a 307 1.4 16v petrol 2004 for about 5 years, 58k miles on the clock now. Not had a problem with it, a couple of months ago had timing belt done and head gasket (it had a small external oil leak since she got it) at local garage. over the past week it has been having starting problems and various warning lights; passenger air off, engine light, abs.. sometimes they go off and all ok. Today just wont start, turns over fine but engine light stays on while turning it over.
Thinking needs diagnostic... any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jon

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi, not been on here for a while, since i got rid of my 406. However the mrs has had a 307 1.4 16v petrol 2004 for about 5 years, 58k miles on the clock now. Not had a problem with it, a couple of months ago had timing belt done and head gasket (it had a small external oil leak since she got it) at local garage. over the past week it has been having starting problems and various warning lights; passenger air off, engine light, abs.. sometimes they go off and all ok. Today just wont start, turns over fine but engine light stays on while turning it over.
Thinking needs diagnostic... any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jon
get it on planet,

In meantime, check the plugs r sparking. check fuel system,
imobiliser,:thumb:

·
5,669 Posts
f you cannot et it on planet, get battery and alternator checked. Failing battery or low battery due to charge fault gives random errors and poor starting

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jack,
in the mean time iv'e been checking fuel and spark...so I have removed ignition coil and spark plugs, inserted spark plugs into ignitioncoil, turning engine over and not one spark from any spark plug. any ideas? new ignition coil maybe? seems to be a smell of fuel.
Thanks Jon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for quick reply. Right i'll test again. By the way, the car has has gone into economy mode now, should there still be a spark?

·
Registered
248 Posts
should be fine in economy mode, rest against the exhaust manifold and u should see a nice blue spark - if not it sounds like the coil packs.

Have you checked all the obvious earth points by the way in case the garage have disturbed one of them

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the test on the coil pack, no spark. so went off to ECP got a Delphi coil pack 25% off, £72.90.
The bad news is put it on, still not starting, tested for spark, no spark.
still in economy mode
Had it on jump leads from my car for turning over purposes, as battery is weak.
Any further help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it definitely needs to go on planet.
How do i check for power to coil pack? Multi-meter in the plug? which colour wires? I could test with 12v bulb set up on cable.

Thanks

·
5,669 Posts
If you cannot get it on planet, follow a proper diagnostic route, not just check one thing and change it if it's does not work.

If it was fine before head gasket and cam belt. Start from there,

Are all electrical plugs and earths on the head and battery etc, connected and tight, and any signs of damaged cables from when head was removed.

Does it see the key (chimes when door open with keys in),

Does fuel pump run/prime on ign on and is there fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Is cam belt still tight and timed up, garages have been known to forget to tighten tensioner etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts