Peugeot Forums banner

307 wont start, Transponder code not recognised

14K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  bettyswollocks 
#1 ·
Hi all, im looking for some help here, its a 307 1.6 Rapier petrol.

It Will turn over, wont start, I cant open windows or lock doors etc due to economy mode. Red light on dash lock button is flashing rapid.

I've put brand new battery on and changed both key batteries.

Bought pp2000, bought transponder key code. Plugged in and checked the VIN code and re entered it as it was showing back to front "D's" (sort off) presumably has it had lost all information due to flat battery.

It now shows all the info correctly, Model, Builld code, Vin.

Went through process of entering code for transponder/Key. Entered the code and the screen said "Learnt" then in what appeared to still be the same screen I entered the code again as there was no F1 or F7 button to return. On entering the code again it then says not recognised. I tried several times then it locked me out for 15 mins before I could try again.

I thought that if the battery had become flat and the BSI had just lost its marbles, if it was re started and correct info put back in the old keys would still be coded. Unless of course its had this problem previously and its already had the ECU & BSI swapped over from another car.

If it has had them replaced previously (Other car with other Vin &/or codes etc) What should I try

Whats the best plan of action here, can I just erase it all and start over again.

I hope that makes sense!!! Hope you guys can help before I loose the will to live.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Gibbo,

It was working fine, although I know the battery was almost goosed, it held enough to start it no problem (at this point though I never noticed the economy mode active) but if you left lights on for five mins with no engine it would not have enough to get it going. This happened once, jumped back in and and battery was almost flat, (only tried to start it the once) a couple of mates immediately pushed me to bump start start it and it was fine for weeks after that.

I never did anything about it but just gave car back to Mrs who had been driving for weeks. She Pull up to post a letter then got back in and its never started since.

#4 ·
Also just to ask,,,,,I have a Citroen zxara 1.6 petrol, the bis looks identical (had a quick look) not sure if I could swap over the ECU, BSI along with the transponder chip.

If swapped over, presuming these are the same, would I need Lexia or would PP2000 still see the car as a 307?

Just a thought

#6 ·
Ive used that method but the menu's are slightly different, I enter the 4 digit code, PP2000 then basically only gives me the option to enter it again, it then says not recognised, pressed enter several more times and it locks the BSI for quarter of an hour

#8 ·
Hi, I've looked at the BSI, tha's the same but ECU is totally different, If i was to buy a set from Breakers, what do I need to make sure I get. As far as I understand, I just need ECU. with BSI. and the transponder chip or complete key.

I also understand it will have a different VIN. number stored, but how do I go about getting the Transponder code should this go pear shaped again. Is it more than likely that the VIN stored on the new ecu/bsi will be original, to allow buying another code.

The only thing I can think is wrong with the ones I have fitted now, is they are not original hence why the VIN number on the car has generated what appears to be an incorrect code, what do you guys think.

#9 ·
You'll need BSI , engine ecu and transponder keys , if the donor car has more mileage you'll need the clocks aswell ,
The scrap man is a wealth of knowledge , he will keep you right if you ask his advice ,
Also ask him his returns policy which is usually 10% of the cost ,
If you can get the vin number of the car it comes out of the codes can be got ,
If you replace all parts and the car still doesn't start the problem is elsewhere :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
Morning all,

OK, i bought a ECU, BSI & key fob from scrapyard, assured me vehicle was running? is waqs only £30 so not a massive worry.

I fitted them to car plugged in planet and it comes up with the old information I had in for the old ECU, ie VIN, model etc.

I presumed it would have had the donor car information stored, is there something else I should have changed.???
Its also exactly the same, no start but cranks, no windows, wipers locking etc, red light quickly flashing on dash.

Any ideas what to do before I burn the car?

#14 ·
Hi Gibbo,

I bought a code for old BSI based on the VIN of the car, it would not work at all, not recognized, would not enter so could not get past that point so could not even get up the option to re sync new keys.

So only options as far as I understand was to virginise the old BSI, lack of time and not knowing where to go locally so this ment my best option was to nip to scrapyard and buy a full set of a car as a matched set. The money wasn't the big deal, time was.

In any case its still a static street feature. So no better off.

Until I know the ECU & BSI are all as should be its pointless looking in other areas.

Just to ask again, when I installed the new Ecu & Bsi, then plugged in planet, how come the old VIN & model was still showing up? presumably this means something else is storing vehicle info??

Ive got new battery, with +12V, new batteries in the key fobs, although only the Transponder is matched to the ne (replacment) Ecu & Bsi.

#15 ·
Info is stored in the bsi and some in clocks/speedo but im sure the vin is only BSI

Does the car recognise the key in ignition ?

I recon you have a wiring issue unless your original BSI did get totally wiped by flat battery but if that was the case the new/replacement should work.

#16 ·
I've checked on planet and it says ecu is not matched to bsi, no keys matched, immobilizer active (i think)

I've lost the will to live, is there anyone near chorley fancy earning some cash to sort this out.

I don't know if its what i am doing with Planet, i tried automatic configuration but it tries to connect to internet and says it cant do it (forgot the exact phrase)

#18 ·
You cannot do auto configuration that is dealer only as it contacts Peugeots servers and downloads the correct info for the car !!

If it says ecu and bsi not matched are you sure you changed the correct parts over :)

You will get ECU and BSI not matched if

A they don't match

B the ECU and BSI are not communicating

C wiring faults

D power supply faults

#19 ·
I did definitely put the correct ecu and bsi in, i checked and double checked, and also after reading i checked again. :thumb:

What would you suggest checking first?

one thing i did not check are the fuses on the new bsi,

also just to add, i was sat in car earlier (via pp2000) I had locks working, radio working, info display working, it seems i can control various things through pp2000, would this suggest anything?

Attachments

#21 ·
It probably is im sure.

So, to recap, paid for transponder code with old ecu/bsi, that was wrong.

got different ecu and matching bsi from scrappy, lost its coding?

If i buy another code using the VIN from the donor car, that should work?

I am presuming the ecu is locked (as per picture) because the pin was wrong?

Honestly, these cars are crap. If I had know before hand about all this I would of bought another make.

#25 ·
Honestly, these cars are crap. If I had know before hand about all this I would of bought another make.
These plural? Have you had more than one? Don't slate an entire marque because of your limited experience, or your lack of knowledge in using Planet. Its not a toy, its a complicated diagnostic tool that technicians at Peugeot would go on training courses to use.

This forum has been here for years, so you would have been able to read up on potential issues before you bought the car.

I've had several Pugs over the last 20 years and because I've bought something that's got some degree of history and evidence of car I've had no problems other than basic wear and tear.

Just be thankful you've got access to a forum full of excellent technical information, and knowledgeable members willing to share. But start criticising their choice of car and that flow of information will soon dry up.

Now I'm aware you're probably frustrated and angry that you car isn't working, so lets not escalate this any further and just get you sorted. How about contacting MCDIG in Skem to take a look at your car with Planet?

#24 ·
Hi, Bettyswollocks,

The key code I got from you didn't work as per our conversation, although, with the massive amount of problems these cars have with the bsi, its more than likely it's been swapped already.

what i did do last night was enter the donor car VIN number, still no start but its made a world of difference, the display now shows door open symbol, radio now comes on and a few other bits.

But to top it off now planet will not load up. What i found with the planet and laptop is that sometimes its really slow to do anything, yet other times its very quick.

What is the procedure for re installing planet.

Pr1vatepiles,

i don't yet share the same feelings about this car, although when working I probably will. But reading this thread and other forums regarding the fickleness of the electrics on this car I still think Peugeot got something wrong.

#27 · (Edited)
FIXED, not sure how to add this to my thread

Absolute massive relief, and an even more massive THANKS to BETTYSWOLLOCKS for help and fantastically quick service.

I will be in touch later Martin to sort out.

RIGHT THEN, now for the red faced confession.:eek:

It turns out that what I thought was the BSI was in fact the fuse box under the bonnet.
Confusingly on here there is that much info that you start to read too much and get confused if your in too much of a rush. My advice is slow down, keep calm and don't get mad.

I had read a thread that mentioned how water couldn’t get into the bsi because of a leaking windscreen as it is sited under a cover under the bonnet. (Not 100% certain it was for a 307 or not or that it just mentioned a 307)

Anyway, last night after trying another code for the ecu & "BSI" (top fuse box) didnt work.

In desperation I was trawling ebay for another set, something caught my eye that made me stop and realize, OH SH*T, the BSI from the donor car was in fact still in the donor car and its no wonder that I was getting weird results from PP2000 and would not accept the pin/key code.

Flew over this morning, got the BSI (proper) got home swapped over, plugged in planet and entered code and BINGO!!!!!!

SO for the last couple of hours I've been sat learning how planet works. Its actually pretty simple.

To sum up for anyone having similar problems,,,,,

Keep calm, rushing makes your face red in more ways than one!!!
Put your trust in PP2000 (if it wont work something else is wrong)

Is it just me that thought the BSI was under the bonnet?

Thanks for all input guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.