Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello please excuse the crappy mechanical talk im female but do try lol

recently got rid of my mk4 golf because i was sick of garages changing parts that didnt need changing and was costing me a fortune to maintain. but not once did it not start!.

anyway i now have a 307 2.0 hdi 2002 its battered and bruised but didnt cost much is half the tax insurance and running costs so seamed like a no brainer.

i just mot'd it last week and apart from a few little things like floppy indicator (i fixed it) it passed. but a few days ago it started running really lumpy and almost kangerooing down the road my headlights and all dash/clock/radio lights were flickering. i was hoping this was maybe a battery or alternator fault and was about to have it looked at untill it refused to start in morrissons car park :( after a few attempts to start it the dash lights started to go out when i turned the key so i would have no electrics untill i hear a fuse click and they come back on, but as soon as i try start it they go off again.
i got it to a friend of a friend who fixes cars and he went straight for a little box in front of the relay box thining it was a dodgy connection in there. anyway that didnt work so i left it with him.
today he says the fuel pressure thing (sorry) is leaking and hes pretty sure this is why it wont startand i need a replacement, he says the reason the dash lights go out is because its going into ecconomy mode to save the battery and when he puts jump leads from his car they stay on fine but still dosent start.
before i spend money on this part could anyone please say this agree or disagree with his diagnosis? im sick to the back teeth of paying out for things i dont need. im a home care assistant and look after elderly in there own homes so the last thing i need is my car off the road :(

any input would be great
thanks very much

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
hello please excuse the crappy mechanical talk im female but do try lol

recently got rid of my mk4 golf because i was sick of garages changing parts that didnt need changing and was costing me a fortune to maintain. but not once did it not start!.

anyway i now have a 307 2.0 hdi 2002 its battered and bruised but didnt cost much is half the tax insurance and running costs so seamed like a no brainer.

i just mot'd it last week and apart from a few little things like floppy indicator (i fixed it) it passed. but a few days ago it started running really lumpy and almost kangerooing down the road my headlights and all dash/clock/radio lights were flickering. i was hoping this was maybe a battery or alternator fault and was about to have it looked at untill it refused to start in morrissons car park :( after a few attempts to start it the dash lights started to go out when i turned the key so i would have no electrics untill i hear a fuse click and they come back on, but as soon as i try start it they go off again.
i got it to a friend of a friend who fixes cars and he went straight for a little box in front of the relay box thining it was a dodgy connection in there. anyway that didnt work so i left it with him.
today he says the fuel pressure thing (sorry) is leaking and hes pretty sure this is why it wont startand i need a replacement, he says the reason the dash lights go out is because its going into ecconomy mode to save the battery and when he puts jump leads from his car they stay on fine but still dosent start.
before i spend money on this part could anyone please say this agree or disagree with his diagnosis? im sick to the back teeth of paying out for things i dont need. im a home care assistant and look after elderly in there own homes so the last thing i need is my car off the road :(

any input would be great
thanks very much
first thing I would say is using jump leads on these cars is a bad idea!
I would say you need to contact a member with planet to get it pluged in and have a look at live data if you use the search button you will find plenty of people with planet and info on how to contact them

P

·
0 Posts
+1 on what trustme has said. Could be a load of different things at this point. Where abouts are you based? Do you have the 90 BHP or 110 BHP

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I'd be suspecting the alternator hasn't been charging the battery and prolonged cranking has totally drained it which is why there are no lights on the dash.

Economy mode will not stop the dash lights illuminating as the car goes through a quick self check including dash lights when the ignition is first turned on. A flat battery would cause the dash lights to fail to illuminate though. With the battery having gone flat it is possible that the key transponder code has been lost so the immobiliser will not unlock the ECU to allow the engine to start.

As has been previously suggested, hooking it up to Peugeot Planet would reveal if the ECU is unlocked when the key is in the ignition and reveal any other issues though a very low battery can result in phantom errors being recorded.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery hasnt gone flat its turning over fine just wont start. The dash lights come on initially but all go out when you try to start the car. I doubt I have the code very little history with the car x

P

·
0 Posts
With battery issues, could have gotten so low the car has forgotten what keys are sync'd with the car. Really does need session with diagnostic kit.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
The battery hasnt gone flat its turning over fine just wont start. The dash lights come on initially but all go out when you try to start the car. I doubt I have the code very little history with the car x
that does not mean the battery is not flat as the starter takes so much power and could be taking power away from everything else because battery is weak

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I need to find someone that will come to the car with diagnostics ; ( I have a feeling this is gonna get costly

P

·
0 Posts
Ok so I need to find someone that will come to the car with diagnostics ; ( I have a feeling this is gonna get costly
Your in a good location as there are a few members close by with the gear who more often then not charge small amount for their time (compared with dealers who will charge a small fortune),

Quick check of members map has my brother Gibbo down as covering your area, so you'd be in safe hands. Post here:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/need-20-posts-before-pm-13646/

Get 20 posts then drop him a PM, easily get to bottom of this :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Feel a bit stoopid taking car off the so called mechanic but hes had it since Saturday tea and im back at work monday

1 - 20 of 72 Posts