Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I have an issue with my 2002 307 HDI 110 that every now & then the car refuses to start.
It has a new decent battery & a new starter motor so Im fairly certain its not those.

No dash messages or warning lights are giving any clues. The car will crank for about 10 times before it stops cranking.

Then if I leave it alone for an unspecified amount of time it will suddenly start without any problem!

Ive run it through a global test on PP2000 & it came back with the following;

• Engine ECU
  • Intermittent fault. FRIC (Cooling function integral with the ECU) Consitency between the fan speed and the setting (This is the air con I think?)
  • Intermittent fault. Catalytic converter upstream temperature signal. Short circuit to positive or circuit open. (Should I do anything about this? mine has no dpf etc)

• Multifunction display
  • Permanent fault. Absence of communication with the CD changer (I removed the changer)
  • Intermittent fault. No +ve permanent on the display (??)

• CD player ECU has not replied (CD player has an ECU?!)

• Power steering
  • The ECU has not replied (Would this control the ignition?)

If you have any clues on what I should do next please let me know, thanks!!

I did have an aftermarket ipod adapter (Connects2 iPod adapters) where the cd changer used to be, which Ive removed now to see if that was causing the issue...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi all

I have an issue with my 2002 307 HDI 110 that every now & then the car refuses to start.
It has a new decent battery & a new starter motor so Im fairly certain its not those.

No dash messages or warning lights are giving any clues. The car will crank for about 10 times before it stops cranking.

Then if I leave it alone for an unspecified amount of time it will suddenly start without any problem!

Ive run it through a global test on PP2000 & it came back with the following;

• Engine ECU
  • Intermittent fault. FRIC (Cooling function integral with the ECU) Consitency between the fan speed and the setting (This is the air con I think?)
  • Intermittent fault. Catalytic converter upstream temperature signal. Short circuit to positive or circuit open. (Should I do anything about this? mine has no dpf etc)

• Multifunction display
  • Permanent fault. Absence of communication with the CD changer (I removed the changer)
  • Intermittent fault. No +ve permanent on the display (??)

• CD player ECU has not replied (CD player has an ECU?!)

• Power steering
  • The ECU has not replied (Would this control the ignition?)

I did have an aftermarket ipod adapter (Connects2 iPod adapters) where the cd changer used to be, which Ive removed now to see if that was causing the issue...
when it fails to start look at live data have have a look at the fuel pressure and also have a look to see if the ecu is locked or unlocked

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
following;

• Engine ECU
  • I'd check the sensor was functioning. Should still have a cat unless it had a de-cat when the dpf was removed.
    [*]Multifunction display
    [*]Permanent fault. Absence of communication with the CD changer (I removed the changer)
    You could go into the BSI ECU settings and set the CD Changer to Absent to stop this from showing.
    [*]Intermittent fault. No +ve permanent on the display (??)
    Possible loose connection to the MFD
    [*]CD player ECU has not replied (CD player has an ECU?!)
    Yes it does but setting it to Absent would stop this being reported
    [*]Power steering
    [*]The ECU has not replied (Would this control the ignition?)
    I've seen this a few times on different cars, all of which started fine and had perfectly good power steering. Could well be something to do with the interface firmware / revision. Some clones won't communicate with any 307's but work fine on the other models.
I'd suggest checking the earths from the battery to the body and especially the one that attaches to the gearbox bellhousing and also check the cables to the starter motor are clean and tightened up properly, especially the thick cable from the battery.
Ignore setting the ecu to absent if re-connecting the interface. I missed this last bit when I suggested it. You will still get these messages with the interface connected as it isn't a true cd changer ecu.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for taking the time to go through all of the faults. Ill change the CD changer to absent I think. Regarding the CAT, if this was removed what would I do about this error, anything?

Ill check all of the earths suggested as well, many thanks.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Usually, both the DPF removal and a decat requires a remap to remove the parts related to these items which prevents errors coming up. If the remap was done by a competent mapper all would be well but unfortunately not all mappers are experienced and some inexperienced people buy or download a generic map and try to remap themselves and can make a mess of things. I have an electronics qualification, consider myself to be computer savvy, have written programs for windows pc's in visual basic, pascal & c++ languages and I look after & repair highly technical machinery BUT I know nothing about re-mapping and wouldn't think about trying it myself without someone who really knows what they are doing watching every step.

I'd suspect you still have a cat so I would look at the live data for the sensor using PP2000. It should tell you what is the normal readings at certain points and you can compare the actual readings with the expected figures. I would suspect the sensor needs replacing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well it was struggling to start again today, about the fourth time it turned over, but then when I depressed the accelerator there where no revs at all! but the engine remained running in idle

I left it running/ idling & checked under the hood, nothing unusual there got back in & it started to rev like normal. Then I drove it a few mile & it started fine again.

Ill check it over this weekend & get it on PP2000

1 - 15 of 15 Posts