Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm needing some help here.
My 307 2.0 Hdi jumped the timing belt. Luckily there has been no damage to the valves.
I have inserted the locking pin to lock the crankshaft / flywheel behind the starter motor.
I then removed the belt and tried to move the camshaft by hand so the holes line up but it would only move an inch or so in either direction. I then removed the flywheel locking pin and turned the crankshaft clockwise 90 deg. this then allowed me to turn the camshaft to the correct position. i inserted the camshaft lock pin and then turned the crank back 90 deg and inserted the lock pin also.

I then fitted the new belt and tensioned it and turned it a few times.

Is what i have done so far correct?

I have just read though on another website:
"Ensure crankshaft sprocket Woodruff key at 9 o'clock position".

This has made me wonder why it should be set to 9:00 position and could it be possible that i have inserted the flywheel locking pin in the wrong hole on the wheel itself or that even possible?

Look forward to help..

cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year is 2003.
I don't know what the engine code is as I am not with the vehicle until Saturday.
Where would I even find it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's 110bhp.

The cam sprocket has a locking hole positioned about 7 o clock.. And the sprocket is held one by one bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys for your help..
So do you reckon what I have done so far is correct?
I mean there is no possibility that there would be another hole on the flywheel that I may have accidentally gone through?

Come to think of it I'm 95% sure the woodruff key on the crank sprocket was around the 12 o'clock mark. Will check in a day or two when I have time..

Thanks again

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Yes it all sounds correct to me but if your original belt has jumped teeth then I would remove the black rocker cover and have a look at the rockers as this is what gets damaged when valves hit pistons the valves do not bend the rockers break.

If it has broken rockers its easier to do them now with engine half stripped rather than have to remove the belt again :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks reliable406.

I have another question that is bugging me.. (I'm a novice to all this!)

So we have a four stroke engine.. intake, compression, power and exhaust...

How do we know what cycle or stroke each piston is on for the valves to operate in the correct sequence?

Are the complete series of valve movements done in one complete turn of the cam sprocket?
The reason i ask is that I'm wondering if it is possible, (since the belt had jumped) to be one or two complete turns of the cam sprocket in either direction in relation to the locking pin hole?

Or is it that once the crank and cam sprockets are in the locking positions.. the engine is in proper timing.

Thanks again for your patience..!

·
Registered
822 Posts
If crank is locked and the cam sprocket has a keyway and you have locking pin in cam sprocket then cam and crank are in correct possition.
I would do as suggested and check all the rockers to though.
Don't over tension belt or over torque tensioner bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool..

How do find the rockers??

Also.. I read that the fuel pump is irrelevant of the engine timing.. Is this correct? If so how does this work?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
if you turn the engine you will find the top locking hole will only line up with the bottom hole once every 2 revolutions

my 2.0 90bhp doesnt have a locking hole on thecrankshaft.

to be sure id lock it behind the starter motor its a pain but justto be sure

·
Registered
822 Posts
The fuel pump does not need timing, it delivers constant pressure to fuel rail which feeds the injectors.
to check your rockers remove the very top part of the engine and they are in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts