Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, I decided to retire and started to look around for something fulfilling to do!
I had always played around with cars and decided that getting to understand what todays cars are made like would be an idea I couldn’t resist. After buying and driving several makes of diesel cars where the garage seemed to always suggest that the engine was of French origin, I thought I could be amused by the 110bhp, 2.0litre HDI. After all they are relatively cheap and eminently tuneable, well certainly to a man of my age.
I therefore went completely mad and purchased a 140,000 mile example which was advertised with new clutch and 8 months MoT. At £200 what was I expecting from a car which everyone seems to think don’t rust and can go to the moon and back.
I had the vehicle delivered to my house and excitedly set about examining where I could make improvements to my purchase in order to improve its reliability.
Imagine my amazement when detailed examination revealed this!!
Peugeot offer an anti perforation warranty I understand and not an anti rust or rust free guarantee. Despite this example being over 10 years old, I agree Peugeot certainly can claim their guarantee to be valid, but the moral is don’t be impressed by the paintwork , look underneath for the real truth.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
photo's are out of focus but they appear to be images of nothing more than surface rust. As I understand it, the anti-perforation warranty only applies if the car is inspected at stated intervals by a Peugeot dealer and that it covers corrosion from inside the panels rather than the outside of the panels that are open to the elements. The photos give the inpression that there is plenty of solid metal underneath which is what I think you are saying in a very roundabout way.

Anyone purchasing a used car of any age should generally always try to look at the underneath, not just for corrosion but also for damage caused by driving over unsuitable terrain. I've never once met anyone who has the opinion that cars never rust. Several people including myself have the opinion that cars tend to last longer these days and don't suffer from terminal rust like cars made back in the 60's and 70's as long as they aren't driven like a stock car and have some kind of reasonable care taken by the owners.

·
Registered
14,628 Posts
EVERY car will have rust underneath low mileage cars tend to be the worst !

My sw has 160k miles and is 12 years old is rusty here and there but if it was a ford it would be scrapped long ago because the sills would be non existent along with the wheel arches :)

peugeots from the 80s and even 90s rusted pretty badly the modern cars ARE much better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
307sw

Thanks for your interest and responses
The issue for me was the extent of the rusty area and the fact that it was behind the tank and under the boot area where I would not have expected significant abuse from the elements. Having pursued a similar Ford perforation warranty previously on a 3 year old Mondeo, I was truly disappointed with the bodge it. and forget it attitude of main dealer. Clearly at 12 years old the Peugeot had fulfilled its expectations and I still hadn't lost a fortune
It still had a long MoT with the car which should have counted for something, although this also included some rusty brake pipes, so not really sure of the efficacy of an MoT test these days
So what to do next??
I decided to proceed by taking the engine apart to see what state that was in. If the engine turned out to be in good fettle then proceeding with some sort of rebuild was likely. Poor engine, break it, sell off the parts and start again

·
Registered
28 Posts
i would love to have the ability to just decide im going to strip my engine

your a braver man then i ever will be

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont want to sound pious, but my taking cars apart is summed up thus:
“Believe in your infinite potential. Your only limitations are those you set upon yourself. Believe in yourself, your abilities and your own potential. Never let self-doubt hold you captive. You are worthy of all that you dream of and hope for.”
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts