Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm looking to pick some brains on here.

I could be buying a 2005 307 sw XSi HDi 136bhp version but it has a problem.

It belches out white / greyish smokes bad when cold but not bad when warm?

Here's a bit of an analasis, started from cold fine but idled very lumpy. Found the aircon to be on so turned off to makes things a bit more stable which it did.

The warmer it got the less the smoke got, I never touched the accelerator as I wanted it to warm up gently and naturally as it has been stood for quite a while.

Once at operating temp I started to press the accelerator but there was no spinning turbo, all I heard when the revs dropped back down was heavy induction noise, when revving it didn't feel as responsive as it should be.

Unplugged the MAF - no reaction to the idle speed.

Undone the coolant cap - no pressure or smell of gasses.

Checked the main intercooler hose when the owner revved, no pressure.

The engine itself sounds fine, starts fine without struggling - I never attempted to drive the car as A) its on a SORN and B) the risk of further damage.

I live a fair distance away from the car so cannot drive it even if I tax it.

I've done a google search and on here and drawn a blank - do any of you know what could be wrong with this car?

I'm seriously tempted with this car as apart from this issue its all there, it only needs a clean where its been stood.

Any advice on this would be a great help.

Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be buying or bought ?

Could be - walk away

Bought - white smoke ,water or turbo, can't mind which but some of the others guys will jump in lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
I could be buying, I viewed the car yesterday with a view to buying cheap and repairing myself as its a rare well specced model with the sat nav etc which is why I travelled to view it, and the car itself is very clean and dent free - just dusty where its been sat.

The first thing I looked for was head gasket but its not losing oil or water, there's no pressure or exhaust gasses coming from the header tank and there's no emulsifying in either the engine or cooling system.

I checked the oil before the car was started and it was reading over the max by approx 3-5mm, but the car was parked facing downhill - could possibly have been overfilled? If i'm honest I did wonder if its been overfilled and blown the turbo seals?

There's no sign of life in the turbo at all, you can't hear it spinning at all when you rev the engine and there is no reaction from the intercooler hose.

Thanks for your reply. :thumb:

·
Registered
63 Posts
A cheeky ask, but can i ask for how much are you offering?

My Xsi 136 blows a bit of white smoke at the moment, being this cold and climate. Im not too worried about it, it does dissapear after the cars warmed up.

I had a mondeo tdci once with a blown injector which did smoke a lot more white smoke but also starting was very difficult yet running was only a little rough.

Dependant on the price, id walk away if they are asking over 2k.

I beleive HDIs blow a bit more white smoke than mosy diesels when cold anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cheeky ask, but can i ask for how much are you offering?

My Xsi 136 blows a bit of white smoke at the moment, being this cold and climate. Im not too worried about it, it does dissapear after the cars warmed up.

I had a mondeo tdci once with a blown injector which did smoke a lot more white smoke but also starting was very difficult yet running was only a little rough.

Dependant on the price, id walk away if they are asking over 2k.

I beleive HDIs blow a bit more white smoke than mosy diesels when cold anyway.
I've been offered it for £1500 without me even trying to bargain with him.

The theory I have at the moment is the engine has been overfilled with oil, blown the turbo seals which in turn has coated all sensors in the intake system which is why the turbo isn't spinning at all. Excess oil in the intake system is being dragged through the inlet and burned with the diesel?

If anyone else has any theories then feel free to post, I could be completely wrong on the above - i'm not to familiar with these cars but have an idea on the engine.

The engine itself sounds absolutely fine, idles rough when cold but fine once warmed up and smokes a lot less.

I am seriously tempted to get this!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any ideas or suggestions?

Has anyone changed a turbo on one of these?

Intake system, EGR and intercooler etc I can decontaminate and service myself no worries but would like to know if anyone has had any experience on changing a turbo on the this version of engine? Is it a PITA or isn't it too bad?

Is the 407 136ps turbo unit the same as the the 307 136ps?

All I need is a few sugggestions from you guys to help me decide - I'd be very grateful of any help.

Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Turbo is a big job on this model it sits behind the block not easy to get at Autodata has it at 6.90hrs. I knocked a vacuum pipe of one of the boost solenoids (think they have 3) and it resulted in no boost at all so would check those first.
Is the engine light on or pollution fault displayed on the display?
Can you get it hooked up to planet to check fault codes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo is a big job on this model it sits behind the block not easy to get at Autodata has it at 6.90hrs.
There are no faults displayed and no engine management light on however, the seller had the management light reset when he bought it to take it out of limp home mode.

Does an ELM 327 work on this model as this is all I can access at the moment?

Thank you for your reply :thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know the Lexia Peugeot Planet software is the only reliable way to read it. I think you should also be able to see what code had been cleared before
Look here to see if anybody on here has one local to you :thumb: http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/maintenance-9/diagnostic-peugeot-planet-map-7734/
Peugot Planet - Google Maps
Is Peugeot Planet expensive to buy?

The car is sat 200 miles away from me at the moment so not that simple to nip around the corner and plug it in.

If I decide to go for it I can't pick it up until 2 weeks time anyway. :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got mine from here Home - EasyDiagnostic
but it wouldn't work on 7 64bit.
Thank you for the link, I will be buying one as I've decided to go for the car and will be collecting / recovering in a weeks time.

The laptop I have for diagnostic use has XP on it so should be ok.

Can this system recode injectors? Just a thought in case I have to send the injectors away to be rebuilt i'll need to program the new codes in.

Thanks again for your reply, its much appreciated. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Turbo is a big job on this model it sits behind the block not easy to get at Autodata has it at 6.90hrs. I knocked a vacuum pipe of one of the boost solenoids (think they have 3) and it resulted in no boost at all so would check those first.
i did the same too mine knocked off one of the vacuum pipes on the solenoid on left hand side behind engine (mines orange colored with 2 pipes if i remember wright) i agree check all pipes first turbo is a right b*****d to change,did seals on mine, had to give kids earplugs as too much B S and F words.:eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i did the same too mine knocked off one of the vacuum pipes on the solenoid on left hand side behind engine (mines orange colored with 2 pipes if i remember wright) i agree check all pipes first turbo is a right b*****d to change,did seals on mine, had to give kids earplugs as too much B S and F words.:eek:
Thanks for your reply Phil, at least I know what i'm up against. :thumb:

I've got Lexia 3 / PP2000 now so the first thing i'll be doing is finding whats going on in that brain of hers then go from there.

I will check those pipes (and the turbo impeller) once I get the car recovered home though, it certainly sounds like a common issue.

Are they easily accessable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your reply Phil, at least I know what i'm up against. :thumb:

I've got Lexia 3 / PP2000 now so the first thing i'll be doing is finding whats going on in that brain of hers then go from there.

I will check those pipes (and the turbo impeller) once I get the car recovered home though, it certainly sounds like a common issue.

Are they easily accessable?
sounds like i might have the same model 307 xsi 2.0 136hp 2004. ive got the Siemens system on mine had it about 3 months but got to say wish i never brought it, runnin fine when had it and i do enjoy fixin cars but maybe im an oldie mechanic or maybe its just this car that everythin is fn awkward to get to.
mine was smokin, so took it to a diagnostics which proved a faulty injector, got that replaced which has defiantly improved car but still doesnt start easy and smokes for first mile then after that u wouldnt know anythin was wrong.
will keep you posted on progress. let me know if yours is a Siemens, might be able to check figures off each other.

sorry, gettin carried away, :eek:
the solenoid im on about is ok to get to u should be able to see the 2 pipes commin off the bottom of it, if i remember right one links straight to the top of actuator on turbo(not so easy to get to as behind engine in middle)

good luck :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds like i might have the same model 307 xsi 2.0 136hp 2004. ive got the Siemens system on mine had it about 3 months but got to say wish i never brought it, runnin fine when had it and i do enjoy fixin cars but maybe im an oldie mechanic or maybe its just this car that everythin is fn awkward to get to.
mine was smokin, so took it to a diagnostics which proved a faulty injector, got that replaced which has defiantly improved car but still doesnt start easy and smokes for first mile then after that u wouldnt know anythin was wrong.
will keep you posted on progress. let me know if yours is a Siemens, might be able to check figures off each other.

sorry, gettin carried away, :eek:
the solenoid im on about is ok to get to u should be able to see the 2 pipes commin off the bottom of it, if i remember right one links straight to the top of actuator on turbo(not so easy to get to as behind engine in middle)

good luck :D
It the same as yours just a year younger, injectors are funny things - once one goes they eventually follow on.

I had all 4 redone on my Transit Connect as she wouldn't fire without easy start at a cost of 400 quid! Its still cheaper than Fords 1200 quid they quoted though and she's now running sweet.

My one i'm not convinced its injectors as it starts on the button without hesitation, but I will perform a leak off test once I get her home. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok quick update......................

Picked her up yesterday and got her home fine however - prior to getting her home I pulled into the layby just around the corner from where I bought her, switched off and left for 5 mins or so and checked the oil.
It was as I originally thought and over the max!

So I went to the local Halfords and bought a 6 litre oil drainer, then got my good lady to check the oil while I did intermittent drains till I got it just below the max mark - I drained nearly 2 litres of oil into this drainer!!:eek:

Once I did this, I cleaned the sensors and run the car for half an hour or so.

The car now seems much happier and smoke free, just at the moment it still doesn't have a turbo.

Prior to all of this I wired her up to Diag Box / PP2000 and did a global test and it refuses to connect to the engine ECU which is the one I want.

Now I have a full day and back home I can hopefully sort these issues out and start decontaminating the intake system, but so far i'm more than happy with what i've just spent £1300 on. :thumb:

·
11,766 Posts
Picked her up yesterday and got her home fine however - prior to getting her home I pulled into the layby just around the corner from where I bought her, switched off and left for 5 mins or so and checked the oil.
It was as I originally thought and over the max!

So I went to the local Halfords and bought a 6 litre oil drainer, then got my good lady to check the oil while I did intermittent drains till I got it just below the max mark - I drained nearly 2 litres of oil into this drainer!!:eek:
Wouldn't it be more prudent to check the oil when cold?

You're going to get a false reading with any warm engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts