Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've read quite a few threads on this, none of which really had any conclusion so I thought I'd add my circumstances.

I'm fairly confident that this doesn't relate to the wheel bearings. Anyhow, my 2007 307 SW has a rumble that sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car, very much like a tyre noise but amplified.

*The noise is relative to the car speed, not engine speed.
*It only appears from 15MPH onwards
*The car drives and handles very well, nothing feels worrying at all
*The wheels appear to be well balanced, no judder or wobble felt through the steering wheel; tracking also appears to be good
*Acceleration, economy and breaking appear to be good, so I feel I can rule out a sticky pad or warped disc
*Tyres are legal, but are approaching time for replacement (fronts will be replaced within a couple of months, rears within a year)
*The noise isn't metallic, metal on metal or whiney. It's very much like the noise you get on the concrete sections of motorways, but on any road!

So far I haven't actually tried anything to remedy this as I've only had the car for a week and bought it the day before moving house, so haven't had much time to inspect it. Now the house is falling into place I will be able to spend a little bit of time to inspect it, but also due to the house move I have very little money for parts until March.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the sound appears to be coming from the rear of the car, but I might be wrong as sound travels in strange ways.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quite possibly:

1) Wheel bearings - check for play
2) Tyre noise - swap front/rear and see if noise changes

or......... do you have roof bars fitted? I'm not on about the factory roof rails but the cross bars, if so take them off and it will be much quieter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite possibly:

1) Wheel bearings - check for play
2) Tyre noise - swap front/rear and see if noise changes

or......... do you have roof bars fitted? I'm not on about the factory roof rails but the cross bars, if so take them off and it will be much quieter.
Sorry about the long wait for a response.

Noise is there with the roof bars on or off, although much worse with my square anti-aero bars :lol:

As we've just moved house my trolly jack and axle stands are buried in the in-laws shed, hoping to retrieve them some point this week, when I get them back I'll get it up in the air to check for play and rotate the tyres. :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Don't just check for play, spin the wheels and listen closely, this is what an mot tester will do. Any noise or roughness means it will fail, quite rightly so. Spin them both to compare sides. If you have a bad bearing it should be a priority to fix it as soon as possible, I have seen the aftermath of collapsed bearings, one time it caused a car to veer across the road and hit a parked car when the wheel and hub came off. The driver admitted it had been noisy for some time, but thought it would be ok to wait until the mot was due.

Roger

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice, I'll get each corner up in the air (may as well check the front wheels as well as noise can travel in strange ways).

Thankfully I work from home and live just round the corer from the kids school so can happily go a few days without driving. If it's a bearing I'll drop it in to the garage as I'm lacking a little in the hydraulic press area. Managed to change one years back with a hammer but it was a lot of hard work that way!

P.s. Hi from Margate :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
You may find the your rear discs are the type that have the integrated bearing, so good luck pressing that out! Theses types are more expensive but the bearings don't seem to last as long as the separate bearing ones.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may find the your rear discs are the type that have the integrated bearing, so good luck pressing that out! Theses types are more expensive but the bearings don't seem to last as long as the separate bearing ones.
I suppose being built into the disc they're not designed to be on the car as long as separate bearings.

I wonder if anybody can decode this. Attached is a screenshot of the servicebox details for the rear discs on my car... Is it me or does it state that it could be the discs with separate bearings, or the ones with integral bearings. It also states it could be a 25mm stub or a 30mm stub? I'm more confused with this screenshot than before :confused:

Can anybody decipher which disc is the one for my car?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Easy. Take the wheel off, if there are no torx screws holding the disc in position the you have integrated disc bearings. Now you just need to measure the stub axle width, which I'm betting is 25mm, B is without bearing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy. Take the wheel off, if there are no torx screws holding the disc in position the you have integrated disc bearings. Now you just need to measure the stub axle width, which I'm betting is 25mm, B is without bearing.
Not so easy at the moment as I've just moved house and most of my tools are still in storage :lol:

Will drop it into my usual garage later and get them to check if it's the bearings and which type of discs would be required. At least I can get the parts ordered while I sort out digging out my tools :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Quick update, I've been into the garage and they have confirmed that it is one of the rear bearings and that the bearings are integral to the rear discs. Stupidly I forgot to ask if they were the 25mm or 30mm variant :(

Anyhow, I will use it this evening to go and pick up my tool kit and get one of the wheels off tomorrow to confirm the exact discs that I need. Then it can sit on the road for a few days while the bits come through and I can fit them.

The bonus of it being the integral bearings/discs is that I can do those my self :D

Edit:
Just checked Service Box for the hub info and got this, so guessing I have the 30mm stub on my car. Also read that the change from 25mm to 30mm was in August 2006 with mine being a 2007 model.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final update: Due to moving house my energy levels aren't too great so I took it to a local garage I've never used before and happened to fine a great garage I never knew existed, I'll be going there again!

They fitted the discs/pads that I ordered for all of £50, which is really good considering that all the bolts had been stuck in with a ton of lock tight and had rounded heads. Poor guy spent 4 hours to do the job because of the state of the bolts (so glad I wasn't that poor guy) :lol:

After hearing that I'd not long bought the car they lifted it up and took me on a tour underneath it stating that it's in good condition but the front pads need doing (and that the bolts aren't knackered on the front).

Back to happy quiet motoring :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts