Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car failed MOT on corroded rear offside brake pipe, section just in front of spare wheel is in a shocking state.

Checked on Forum and some suggestions were that it was relatively straightforward to make up your own brake pipes.

Starting to think I have bitten off more than I can chew. It seems to be formed in one length running along centre of car and passes up behind fuel tank. I had planned to make it up in sections rather than drop the tank and try to wrestle with an unwieldy length of pipe but now I'm having second thoughts. Is there a a union somewhere that I am missing so I don't have to replace the entire length of the car?

Anyone else done this and got any words of wisdom before I run up the white flag and admit defeat. Cheers.

C

·
0 Posts
Never done brakes on a 307 but the cars I've done that have pipes going over the fuel tank I have tied strong string to the old pipe and then removed it and then used the string to pull the new pipe through, sometimes with the help of an assistant to guide the pipe.

·
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Windy,
It was my original intention to cut out the corroded pipe and put in a new section with an inline union but my local car spare outlet sold me a rubbish and quite expensive pipe flaring kit which couldn't cope with the steel brake pipe, and wasn't much better on the soft copper pipe either.

Having been under the car all day in the freezing cold and having a stinking cold myself I was just about ready to through in the towel.

However, once I'd got indoors and warmed up a bit and had a cup of tea I did some googling and youtubeing and found those Powerhand pipe flaring kits. Bought one on ebay which arrived first post next day and it did the job brilliantly.

Now I've got an issue with bleeding the brakes and I've got one of those fine peugeot planet guys coming out to do the ABS bleed process (thanks to similar thread on this forum). Once I get it sorted (fingers crossed) I was going to post a more detailed description in case it can help some other poor soul going through the same thing.

·
5,863 Posts
Yes the tool works well even on cupro nickle pipes (i wont use copper after a incident with a possible vibration related stress fracture on a pipe years ago) look forward to your write up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts