Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

For the last few months, power steering on my peugeot (307 SW, 2.0 turbo diesel) has been playing tricks on me. It stops working intermittently. When turning, I first start to feel a bit of shaking resistant in steering wheel and when it stops working, the whole steering is VERY hard. To recover, I need to turn of the engine/ignition, then start again and it works normally... It happens once or twice a day (I doo about 60kms per day).

The mechanical part of the power steering was checked by qualified mechanic and he couldn't identify any problems.

I checked the fluid and its topped up nearly to the cap. I unscrewed the cap of the fluid canister and observed, while turning the steering wheel and there were no bubbles. I checked the fuses (also the big 90A one) and all seems fine. I cleaned the connector, that goes on the electric pump.

I am pretty sure, that the thing has to do something with contacts, as it NEVER happens, if it is raining or after the rain, when it's very humid...

I then connected the car to peugeot planet and it gave me 3 errors in power steering section:
- intermittent speed sensor (possible short or open circuit)
- intermittent control unit

Here I'm stuck. I can't afford to go the official peugeot service, as they are VERY expensive here in Australia and they usually want to change everything, even if it is only a minor thing that needs replacing.

I'm hoping, someone can give me some clues, what to do next, where is the speed sensor, that power steering control unit is taking measurements off... Maybe clean some connectors on it?...

Please help
Thank you in advance
Beau

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gibbo.

Thanks for that. I will check this out tomorrow.
I hope, I'll be able to identify the connector and that it will be dirty as f#$% :)

Will report back.

Cheers

·
11,731 Posts
Hi Gibbo.

Thanks for that. I will check this out tomorrow.
I hope, I'll be able to identify the connector and that it will be dirty as f#$% :)

Will report back.

Cheers
You can't miss it, its a big giant connector.

Clean it out with electrical contact cleaner then re-attach and protect the connection with something from this range:

Toolstation: Lubricants + Sprays

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hopefully the clean-up works for you. I had similar issues about 6 years ago and it eventually gave up completely despite cleaning all the connectors and pins. The dealer said at the time that it was a known problem with some earlier pumps.

I wondered at the time whether the issue was due to is being on the near side as the pump washer also failed (Left hand drive) and the crappy mud strewn roads where I am. Fortunately, no issues since replacing it though I do make sure I clean the area periodically

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope, it will work out :)
I'll give it a try today after work.

So to get to there, I have to get the front right wheel off first, and then remove the wheel arch liner? My car has a steering wheel on the right (for driving on the left hand side roads).

Cheers

·
Registered
687 Posts
The pump on the right side irrespective of whether it is LHD or RHD. As for getting to it, yep, that's the way:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys.
I did the clean up today. Outside of both connectors (the one for power with two big wires and the other one with 6 wires) was kinda dirty and greasy...

I first unplugged the 6 wires connector. In the inside, it looked intact. Freshly looking contacts, a bit of yellowish grease, ... I cleaned the inside of the connector and the contacts on the pump with electrical contact cleaner and plugged it back. I cleaned the outside as well and then sprayed the whole outside with some lubricant, that I had.

Then I unplugged the 2 wires connector and realised, there was actually some pressure and a bit of liquid (I suppose the power steering fluid) in it... It looked, like the rubber seal on connector was strong enough to hold the pressure in the inside of connector (where the two contacts are). After them few drops of that liquid went out of the connector, there were no leaks out of it. I cleaned the connector and contacts the same way, as I did with the first connector and then put everything back together. Will see, if it will start leaking from there... :nono:

At the moment, the power steering is working, but we'll see, what will happen tomorrow on my way to work. Crossing my fingers...Will let you know :)

Thanks and best regards

·
11,731 Posts
Nice one, thanks for the pics. I often do preventative maintenance work but never think to photo the progress until I'm putting the car back together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys.

Bad luck. After only about 2 kms, it stopped working this morning... same procedure - turn it off and back on and it worked again for the rest of the day without happening again.
Anyway, it seems like those contacts weren't the cause of problem in my case.

My thoughts at the moment are, whether there is actually something wrong with the inside of the pump or there might be a bad connection on the other side of those wires (speed sensor?)? Does anybody have any ideas, what else to check, before I try to find another pump?

A guy from local peuget wreckers has one in stock and wants 500$ for it :eek: I told him, that I've found a few pumps on the ebay (from UK) and those are roughly 50-80$ + shipping (most of them are stating, that they ship to Australia for about 50$), so much cheaper, than his offer. He then said, that there are 6 different pumps for 307 and that I have to be sure, that I'm ordering the correct one, if I choose to buy it online (his pumps was matched with my VIN). I forgot to check yesterday, when I was cleaning the connectors, whether I could locate a part number on the pump itself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi guys.

Bad luck. After only about 2 kms, it stopped working this morning... same procedure - turn it off and back on and it worked again for the rest of the day without happening again.
Anyway, it seems like those contacts weren't the cause of problem in my case.

My thoughts at the moment are, whether there is actually something wrong with the inside of the pump or there might be a bad connection on the other side of those wires (speed sensor?)? Does anybody have any ideas, what else to check, before I try to find another pump?

A guy from local peuget wreckers has one in stock and wants 500$ for it :eek: I told him, that I've found a few pumps on the ebay (from UK) and those are roughly 50-80$ + shipping (most of them are stating, that they ship to Australia for about 50$), so much cheaper, than his offer. He then said, that there are 6 different pumps for 307 and that I have to be sure, that I'm ordering the correct one, if I choose to buy it online (his pumps was matched with my VIN). I forgot to check yesterday, when I was cleaning the connectors, whether I could locate a part number on the pump itself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
If you have a servicebox account you could check the part number you have as most likely, the part nr was on a sticker if it was there at all.

When I replaced mine with a new one and I didn't realize that it needed to be VIN coded and so ended up taking it to a local dealer to have it coded....this was in the days before I knew about Planet etc. So you will need access to Planet to get one from the UK working. For the price from the local guy, I think you would not be far off the price of what I paid for a new one from memory...I would say, the price of one from ebay is worth the gamble but you will need to recode it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a servicebox account you could check the part number you have as most likely, the part nr was on a sticker if it was there at all.
What do you mean by a servicebox account? About 2 years ago, a bought something like this: LEXIA3 PP2000 Professional Diagnsotic Interface Lexia 3 FOR Citroen Peugeot | eBay . It came with a recorded DVD with software (PP2000), which is just a pirate copy of original software. It works with my car - diagnostics - thats how I got them two power steering fault codes in the first place, but I didn't use it for anything else yet. It did automatically read the VIN from a car though.

When I replaced mine with a new one and I didn't realize that it needed to be VIN coded and so ended up taking it to a local dealer to have it coded....this was in the days before I knew about Planet etc. So you will need access to Planet to get one from the UK working. For the price from the local guy, I think you would not be far off the price of what I paid for a new one from memory...I would say, the price of one from ebay is worth the gamble but you will need to recode it
Will I be able to recode the pump with my interface and software? Any clues, how to do it? I assume, you do it, when the "new" pump is already connected to the car...?

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
What do you mean by a servicebox account? About 2 years ago, a bought something like this: LEXIA3 PP2000 Professional Diagnsotic Interface Lexia 3 FOR Citroen Peugeot | eBay . It came with a recorded DVD with software (PP2000), which is just a pirate copy of original software. It works with my car - diagnostics - thats how I got them two power steering fault codes in the first place, but I didn't use it for anything else yet. It did automatically read the VIN from a car though.

Will I be able to recode the pump with my interface and software? Any clues, how to do it? I assume, you do it, when the "new" pump is already connected to the car...?

Thanks
Lexia....that's the software and connected to the car.

For servicebox, here's the link, just setup an account Peugeot Service Box

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys.

I was lucky enough to find a local wreck yard, that had the wreckage of exactly the same car, as mine. I checked the both VIN's on peugeot service box and they have the same pump! At 250$, the price was acceptable and they offered 1 month warranty.

I'm replacing it tomorrow. Will take some pics for the record :)

Any last tips? As the pumps are the same (same model and part number), it might even work without coding the pump? If not, will Peugeot Planet do the trick, or will I need Diagbox?

Thanks for all the help!
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys,

sorry for such a late reply.

It all went smooth. Didn't need any coding, it just worked straight after swaping them two parts.

Thanks for your help and all the best!
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts