Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having decided that to discover a good engine in the car , along with the new clutch I was promised on purchase, could make the basis of a “new” car for me, I embarked on removing the old oily unit and stripped it back to basics.
After getting extremely dirty and photographing every oily step of the way, I finally loaded all the big component into my car and set off for the engine machinists in Clay Cross to ask them to take a look at my 140000 mile lumps of metal.
Once on the engineers bench he used a micrometre to measure everything up and finally declared the bores and journals to be at least as good as standard factory issue. The worst offender was some wear around the piston grooves and a thick black rim of carbon at the top of each bore above top ring.
The list of required parts was then drawn up for pricing which included mains, big ends, rings, head gaskets and also an amount of immersion cleaning and a small amount of machining.
It seems to me that despite the costs of synthetic oils these days that regular oil changes appear to work and in my case certainly keep the engine in good fettle.
The only real sting in the tail was the costs of it …..£500, and that included leaving the old pistons in the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
That is madness to strip down a perfectly good engine and spend money rebuilding it even if you needed a rebuild good used ones will cost £200 at most !!

12 year old cars are at the end of their life and are best seen as shoestring cars keep them going as long as possible for as little money as possible not do a rebuild !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts