Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, hoping for a bit of internet diagnosis before I go and spend a load with the dealer.

I've also included details of a 'fixed' issue in case it is relevant.

Fixed Issue in January 2013

Anti-pollution fault and miss-firing causing juddering when driving. Was diagnosed as coil pack which was replaced along with spark plugs.

Next day we got the juddering again and the diagnostics said it was an injector that might need cleaning. We decided to go down the Redit route rather than have the injector clean and all has been fine

New Issue 09/03/2013

- Engine turned over once before die-ing. No warning message or lights

- Turned over immediately again and got a large amount of white smoke from the exhaust

- Smoke appeared to continue for 10 mins or so as if something was burning off (but it could also have been because it was two degrees C outside)

- Next day turned over again and there was minimal smoke (again temp was close to freezing)

- Drove home 90 miles with no issues and 'smoke' had gone by the time we got home.

- Have done internet diagnosis of "white smoke" which points to head gasket, so I've looked for other symptoms.
* the oil on the dipstick is normal and no sign of water mixing
* there is no frothy oil on top of the engine rocker
* the radiator water is at the low level and it was at max in January. And if I look hard it appears as though there are tiny specs of oil in the radiator water expansions tank
* Edit i have just checked radiator water as i was going to refill it and it is back at max level

As I mentioned there are no warning lights, all driving ok now and no 'smoke'

Would it correct to assume a head gasket problem would only get worse and would be more noticeable the more I drove?

Also, both incidents have happened after filling the tank from about 1/4 full to full. Could i be disturbing dirt in the petrol tank that is causing this.

Any thoughts before i take it in to my local independent.

Many thanks,

macca

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds like condensation due to cold weather ill be honest, if levels are ok dont worry about it. Every car i own does it in cold weather - hot gasses meeting cool air

Worry when its fogging out the street when hot and drinking coolant like no tomorrow

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oouff thats a lot of money, you could buy a clone lexia and a cheap laptop for that much..might be somebody on the pp map that can help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oouff thats a lot of money, you could buy a clone lexia and a cheap laptop for that much..
I've got a laptop running XP and have just been reading about clone lexia with mixed reviews.

Are they easy to use? I'm computer and technical minded.

Is there a recommended site to get the clones from?

cheers

·
11,780 Posts
1.6 Petrol.

£140 a go on the local Peugeot dealers diagnostic machine!
Can't speak for anyone else but I charge £20 for the same job.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/how-contact-member-peugeot-planet-diagnostic-28190/

As for Peugeot, I wonder why they're charging 1.5 hours labour time. My local dealer charges £80+VAT which is 1 hour labour, the Liverpool Pug dealer charges £40+ as they claim they can do the diagnostic in half an hour and bill in half hour chunks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the info. Probably best that I try and use someone who already has PP rather than get my own. Will probably melt the engine.

Is it worth putting on a PP even though there are currently no warning lights or error codes.

macca

·
11,780 Posts
Absolutely. It will pick up problems that may not warrant a light or warning coming on - the MAF sensor on a 90bhp 307 for example.

And the live data testing is a godsend for checking fuel pressure, current, relay operation and much more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely. It will pick up problems that may not warrant a light or warning coming on - the MAF sensor on a 90bhp 307 for example.

And the live data testing is a godsend for checking fuel pressure, current, relay operation and much more.
Cheers. Going to see if i can find myself a friendly local PP person. Will let you know how i get on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi macca, I've just tried to return your PM but I don't post on here much and I can't PM people until I've made 20 posts.

Can you send me an email - [email protected] please?

(I'll delete my email once you've seen this!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all, hoping for a bit of internet diagnosis before I go and spend a load with the dealer.

I've also included details of a 'fixed' issue in case it is relevant.

Fixed Issue in January 2013

Anti-pollution fault and miss-firing causing juddering when driving. Was diagnosed as coil pack which was replaced along with spark plugs.

Next day we got the juddering again and the diagnostics said it was an injector that might need cleaning. We decided to go down the Redit route rather than have the injector clean and all has been fine

New Issue 09/03/2013

- Engine turned over once before die-ing. No warning message or lights

- Turned over immediately again and got a large amount of white smoke from the exhaust

- Smoke appeared to continue for 10 mins or so as if something was burning off (but it could also have been because it was two degrees C outside)

- Next day turned over again and there was minimal smoke (again temp was close to freezing)

- Drove home 90 miles with no issues and 'smoke' had gone by the time we got home.

- Have done internet diagnosis of "white smoke" which points to head gasket, so I've looked for other symptoms.
* the oil on the dipstick is normal and no sign of water mixing
* there is no frothy oil on top of the engine rocker
* the radiator water is at the low level and it was at max in January. And if I look hard it appears as though there are tiny specs of oil in the radiator water expansions tank
* Edit i have just checked radiator water as i was going to refill it and it is back at max level

As I mentioned there are no warning lights, all driving ok now and no 'smoke'

Would it correct to assume a head gasket problem would only get worse and would be more noticeable the more I drove?

Also, both incidents have happened after filling the tank from about 1/4 full to full. Could i be disturbing dirt in the petrol tank that is causing this.

Any thoughts before i take it in to my local independent.

Many thanks,

macca
So after 5 months of behaving, I've now got a combination of the above issues:

There is a continuous anti-pollution fault.

Regularly when starting I get the juddering from miss-firing, but turning off and starting again usually fixes it.

The white smoke issue has happened on three more occasions and happened again yesterday when the wife was driving and she also got a "Stop driving, Engine too hot" alert, but was a minute from home so continued.

The fan was on and the radiator water tank was empty. It took about 2-3 litres of radiator water to fill it. There is no sign of frothy oil in either the dip stick or the top of the engine but obviously got a leak, which must be causing the white smoke.

I think i need to get it to the garage sharpish, question is can i drive it or will it need towing?

Thanks,

macca

C

·
0 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts