Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 peugeot 307 SW 2.0 petrol (3rd hand). I think the starter or solenoid is bust. (Clicking when key turned, but otherwise nothing.) How do I get at the starter? From above it is under the inlet manifold, and from below it is blocked by the oil filter & pipes. I have managed to remove the 3 bolts that secure the starter, but can't see how to get it out, or even get at the electrical connections. Do I have to remove the inlet manifold? Some of the bolts on the manifold seem to be inaccessible. Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
you have not read the intro thread if you had you would know that what you are asking is impossible to answer !!

WE NEED to know what engine you are talking about !!!!

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Still not enough is it 2 litre petrol or 2 litre diesel !!

I will assume petrol and say that it will come out without removing manifold but it is not easy the gap is only just big enough and it depends on the starter as there are 2 sizes fitted.you dont need to remove the manifold completely just remove the bolts to allow some movement but check under it some have a bolt going into the block low down too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, reliable406, yes it is petrol. 1st photo shows my engine as it is currently.

If I don't remove the manifold, how do I disconnect the electrical connections on the starter, or is there enough play in the loom to get it out?

Do I need to drain the water & disconnect the water hoses to get the starter out? See 2nd photo.

On the manifold, I didn't see a low connection, but visibility is not good. I can't get a socket at the lower middle bolt on the manifold, unless I remove the carb. Do I need to do that? Actually, I'm not sure the space is wide enough for the socket itself. The problem bolt is in the middle of the 3rd photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Yours is the full tree hugger version that makes it harder :)

The egr pipework will stop the manifold moving much you might get the starter out if you remove the airpump and bracket and lift it out over the alternator but to be honest i have not had to do 1 on a car with all the tree hugger crap

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, reliable406. Anybody else got experience of removing the starter on this model?

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
You will probably find the answer is no as
1 the starters are usually reliable on these
2 most people on here have diesels :)

Might be worth asking on the 206 gti forum as its the same engine but i dont think any 206s have the air pumps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Even if you remove the airpump, there's no access to the starter as there's a downward extension of the inlet manifold that completely blocks the way.

The next 2 pages show how I got to the starter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is how I got the starter off. Note the following.

* "left", "right", "front", & "back" are relative to the car, so "left" is on the right of most of these photos.

* I'm probably using the wrong terminology sometimes. I don't know what most of the hoses are called or even what they're for. Ditto for the wires & connectors.

* The inlet manifold is held on to the cylinder head by 5 bolts along the top and 3 along the bottom (13mm). Actually the outermost top ones are nuts on studs. The lower middle one is in a narrow space and a standard socket spanner won't get in. I used a swivel-socket spanner. In addition, you have to remove the throttle to get the spanner in.

* The inlet manifold has a bunch of wires that come across the top inside a closed duct. You don't have to open the duct (and remove all the injector connections), but then the manifold is still attached to the wiring loom and you can only swing it to the left.

* Two of those wires (wire bundles) go down the right side of the inlet manifold and connect somewhere below it. They stop you pulling the manifold up. The longer one connnects at the bottom of the engine compartment, on the front right, so it can be disconnected at any time. You can see the connector from above, but if you don't jack the car up you have to disconnect by feel. The shorter one connects to the oil filter assembly, and you have to reach under the manifold after you've got it off the studs.

* On disassembly, the dipstick tube blocked the inlet manifold when I was trying to pull it off the studs, so it had to be bent to the right. On reassembly, it blocked the spanner to tighten the lower right inlet manifold bolt, so it had to be pushed further to the right.

* The hydraulic clutch actuator blocked all spanner access to the lowest starter bolt, so it had to be removed. (But perhaps that should have been a spline bolt?) This is quite easy - two T30 spline bolts.

* The plastic pipes/hoses and loom conduits are extremely brittle (11 years old). (Why don't they use rubber?) (Sales of spares of course!) For example the air pump hose cracked with the small jerk as I pulled it off the engine side. It had already been taped up by the previous owner. It now has 3 mends on it. Many of the loom conduits are cracking and breaking up.

The following photo sequence is the re-assembly process. The photo filenames say what's going on. Two or three are a bit blurred. Do in reverse for dis-assembly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts